94 paseo nocking noise need help

Asked by Nov 21, 2012 at 04:00 AM about the 1994 Toyota Paseo 2 Dr STD Coupe

Hi all my paseo is making some nocking noise around 2800 - 3000 rpms took it to shop and was told two different thiungs one was rod bearings other crank shaft and need new engine. What do you guys think I should do just keep driving it or drop the oil pan and get new rod bearings. Car runs fine just hate the nocking noise. Also it is a auto trany is fine where can i find a engine for it looked online and can only find stick engines would that work?? Thanks

209,955

It runs fine for now, until the damage becomes worse. Both diagnoses could be a solution, either repair or replace. I'd get another opinion from another shop to verify the exact problem of the knock. If you plan on keeping the car, fix it, if your looking at a new one, keep driving it till ti dies. If you want to replace with a used motor, call your local auto salvage yards.

Thanks for the help I am going to take it to one more shop and see what they say. Might drive it until it dies then just put a engine in or do u think I should try and fix it now before it dies???

2,155

replacing the big ends is an easy job if you are mechanicly minded but you will need to mike up the shaft to see how much play there is and would be looking at a crank hone and over size bearings would recomend a phospher bronze set theese start from about 120 gbpounds if you are going to the expence of doing the bottom end then get a set of cord piston rings and a de coke set so the engine is basicly re built and valves re lapped in to give better performance