Why do I have to disconnect the battery to get the key to turn to the off position?

Asked by May 22, 2013 at 04:28 PM about the 1992 Toyota Paseo 2 Dr STD Coupe

The ignition key will not turn from the accessory position to the off position without me having to first disconnect the battery, then when there is no power it will let me turn it to the off position. Otherwise my battery will go dead. After that I just reconnect the battery after I turn it to the off position until I need to drive it again.

251,615

You need to replace your ignition lock cylinder and or the ignition switch. They go bad over time, contacts get worn, and don't make the proper connections anymore.