Distributor keeps misfiring. Its been replaced twice whats the problem?

55

Asked by Aug 04, 2011 at 09:52 AM about the 1992 Toyota Paseo 2 Dr STD Coupe

I recently have been replacing a lot o things on my paseo but I keep having problems with the distributor. My mechanic have replaced two within the last 3 weeks and its in the shop again. The car works better than ever....when it turns on. My mechanic says its because Toyota distributors are crap and are never good thats why they keep replacing it. But I have my doubts is this true or should I take it somewhere else to get fixed. I need the car!!!

11,905

Take it somewhere else - either he has no clue or is using crap parts.

135

nonsense. Take it to another mechanic. There are several reasons for misfiring: water on the sparks, sparks are bad, wires are bad, injectors are bad, cylinders have no compression, and I am not even a mechanic. I know this because I have had my car misfire and it had a problem with an injector I had to replace. And for your information, the distributor is not what misfires. If the distributor is bad, the car will simply not run.

55

We figured it out!! I took it to another mechanic and after all that turmoil...it ended up being an electrical wire that was bitten off. Probably a rat. Car turns on now!!!