92 Toyota Passeo stalls

Asked by Nov 16, 2009 at 10:38 PM about the 1992 Toyota Paseo 2 Dr STD Coupe

I have a 92 passeo that needs to be jump started everytime to start. Once u do that the car will start smoking exhaust through the engine compartment, underneath and everywhere. The car runs great when running but the check engine light will come on and then shortly after it will stall and be completley dead. If u turn the key nothing comes on no dash lights no clicking. Whats the problem?

It also idles at about 2000rpms and has very little power

45

Well the reason you have very little power is because of the engine. Toyota Paseos only have about 93 horsepower which is closer to the power you could expect from an average push lawnmower than it is to a bone stock Honda Civic.

125

Not a very good answer. While Paseos are not fast, they do move pretty decent considering they only have 93-100hp. You may have a problem with the charging system, meaning either the battery or the alternator is going bad. Since you have a Check Engine Light, you should obviously have a mechanic check that first.

25

I would say that you blew a head gasket.