The temp gauge runs good in park, but goes to over heat while driving? It stays relatively even as long as the heat is on full blast. What needs to be fixed.

Asked by Jan 09, 2007 at 08:59 PM about the 1992 Toyota Paseo 2 Dr STD Coupe

Oil is not leaking.  Radiator fluid is fine.  Everything else on this car is great.  I'm thinking head gasket, but I was wondering if there were any other causes to make it overheat while driving?

20,770

Hi gfannon ... The first thought that comes to mind is thermostat failure. In fact, if you have had the thermostat worked on or replaced recently though it may have been installed in reverse which would lead to this kind of behavior ... On the other hand my Hail-Mary, long-shot-out-of-left-field-in-the-dark suggestion would be to check the timing on the car. Retarded timing at high revs could contribute to higher temps in the engine ... I can't discount your theory about the head gasket completely either but you haven't supported it by reporting any of the other typical symptoms of such a problem either. Sounds like it's time to see a pro however. If it is a head gasket you want it fixed now (assuming you want the car around for a while) and cycling the head through repeated overheats does little for your relationship with your engine. Good luck!