1992 Toyota Paseo Std Coupe burns oil.

Asked by Jun 29, 2007 at 02:58 PM about the 1992 Toyota Paseo 2 Dr STD Coupe

Bought the car at 98,000 miles, now have 209,000 miles.  From the start it burned oil.  Was told by a mechanic that this was normal for this engine.  Since I bought I change oil every 3000 miles and add a quart every 1300 miles after the oil change.  Car runs fine, just bugs me that it uses oil.  Why does it do this and what can be done to correct it?

4,785

This is just my guess...but burning oil generally means that the piston rings and cylinder walls are worn. If that is the case, the only way to solve the problem is to have the engine rebuilt- bore cylinders out and put larger piston rings on.