2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder w/ SMT trans trouble starting sometimes

Asked by Dec 03, 2015 at 04:35 PM about the 2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2 Dr STD Convertible

When I open the drivers door I can hear the hydraulic pump priming noise as I should. When I turn the key forward all of the dash lights come on, the doors lock automatically, the neutral light is indicated. My foot is pressing on the break. Once I turn the key all of the way nothing happens. No noise, no engine turning over, nothing. The other times the car starts just as it should. There is no rhyme or reason. Nothing that I can see is out of place or different.  I checked the battery and it is good. Any diagnostic suggestions?

Gotta be in one of those safety switches, isn't there one for the clutch? Thats where I would start..

I had suspected the neutral safety switch. It happened again and as before the neutral indicator light on the dash was lit up. But just on a hunch I pulled the shifter over to neutral a smidge more and what do you know? it cranked. No problems cranking now. But if (or maybe when) it does not crank I’ll try this again.

I do believe that can be adjusted, maybe look at it as they will get full of sh*t, may just need to be cleaned.

I had same problem, the mechanic told me it is electrical and robe me for $!75.00 USD

This has happened several more times. I have not adjusted or cleaned anything. I let the red gear light go off and tap it "more" into neutral and it starts.

When you get the chance just replace the neutral safety switch then.