Switching out the off market steering wheel

Asked by Feb 05, 2013 at 01:14 AM about the 2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2 Dr STD Convertible

I just purchased a 2002 MR2 Spyder. Some one took the steering Wheel off and put a after market one on. Of course, it has no air bag or horn besides being harder to drive. Has anyone worked on the steering wheel before and does anyone know how expensive it is to put an airbag in?
Thanks.

260

Yeah u need a steering wheel puller their pretty simple as far as the air bag goes idk exactly how much but i would think its not gonna be cheap do you have to have one.

145

You need to disconnect the battery first to make sure it doesn't accidentally go off upon installation. There are Torx bolts T30 I believe on the back side of the airbag. Take it off before trying to install it. Should be two wires for the horn and clips that are one size fits for the airbag. Pretty straight forward if you're mechanically inclined at all. And make sure the wheels are as perfectly straight as possible and locked. Clock the steering wheel as needed for alignment of wheels to the steering wheel. I have a 2003 and have done this. Great car by the way.

It will be expensive and dangerous and you had better know what your doing with air bags. Who knows what has been done to the car. If someone removed all that equipment just to put a modified steering wheel on, then anything could be screwed up. Pulling the steering wheel is nothing at all and I would suggest, unless legally required for maybe an inspection or something, I'd leave it alone and put on a steering wheel that suits you.

96,925

Get a stock steering wheel and air bag from eBay or the scrapyard. It should bolt right in.