What would cause the brake lights to come on, and stay on when the car was not running. Had not driven the car for a few days, came home and the brake lights were on like the peddle was being pushed...

Asked by Jun 11, 2007 at 04:18 PM about the 1993 Toyota MR2 2 Dr Turbo Coupe

29,665

It's clearly an electrical problem which, unfortunately, are never easy to diagnose. I am assuming there are crossed wires somewhere that is signaling the brake lights to stay on. Try taking your car to an Autozone or something similar to hook it up to a computer and see if it gives you a diagnostic code to resolve the problem.

65

i know what the problem is. i had the opposite problem but check the stop light switch. it's the switch that is attached to the brake pedal. adjust it so that the lights won't be on when your not using them :)

100

My MR2 had the same problem, I found the Plastic target the the brake light switch contacts when the pedal is released was boken. I taped a couple of dimes over the missing target location to make the lights work and drove to toyota and bought another one, 2 or 3 buks. It just pushes into place, the hardest part is getting to it.

125

Fernando is right, I had the same thing happen to my corolla and I had to replace my stop light switch!!

5

your brake switch is shot. Most are adjustable, so you could try to get some adjustment out of it, most likely will require a new switch

100

t34c is correct. there is a little plug missing from the hole where the brake switch makes contact. It is about the size of a nickel and black plastic and you should find pieces of it on the carpet at the drivers feet. It is difficult to see the hole from under but I bet it is gone. Just had the same problem. I found a small plastic plug that fit just find and added a dab of silicon glue to keep it in place. You could also just epoxy a nickel over the hole. It is difficult working under the dash of a MR2 but only took me 10 minutes.

20

This was EXACTLY right and enormously helpful because I kept flattening the battery on my car when parked. However he must be very slim to get under to do it in that time :-)

40

I'm so glad I found this thread! I found the pieces of the old plastic plug on the driver's side mat, just as Mycophile described, then it only took me a minute or two to figure out where it came from. I taped a couple dimes in there and now I'm off to the dealer to get the right part. Thanks guys.

40

Just found it online... It's called a Brake Pedal Stop Pad. The dealer had it in stock... $1.81

yes same thing here little black pad fell off easy fix