how easy is it to turbo the stock 2.2l

Asked by Aug 05, 2013 at 10:21 PM about the 1992 Toyota MR2 2 Dr STD Coupe

i am looking on how easy it is to turbo my mr2 2.2l

25,805

Actually, it's not very difficult from what I've read. I had a '93 N/A MR2 with the stock 135 HP (vs the 200 HP in the MR2 Turbo), and while i LOVED the car, I was always yearning for more power! The engine can readily accept a turbo...Read this article: http://www.ehow.com/how_6610535_turbocharge-mr2.html ---AND--- Consider Andy's Auto Sport as a reputable place to get the Turbocharger: http://www.andysautosport.com/toyota/1990_1995_mr2/performance/turbos/

6,345

depends on your mechanic experience, your gonna need a new exhaust manifold or one off a turbo motor, your going to also need a fuel pressure regulator, modification of the ECU or a standalone aftermarket ECU will be required to tune fuel and timing to accept the extra air flow without leaning the air/fuel ratio out to the point of blowing the motor, your gonna need to look at the heat range of your spark plugs and possibly adjust to a hotter plug, your gonna need to put in an intercooler. if you wanna make any decent power your going to have to replace the engine internals with stronger parts. turning a N/A motor into a turbo motor is harder than most people think (I've done a couple). The turbo motors in MR2's are a lot different than the N/A motor.

My mr2 is misfiring and when I driving over 20 miles an hour it dies out. and just started smoking from my exhaust. I just got done doing the spark plugs drove down the street and that's what happened. would that be my head gasket or any ideas?

6,345

Well I suggest you make your post a full one by itself rather than within someone elses so more people will see it. what color is the smoke? is the car over heating? is there coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant? If the only thing you did was change the spark plugs and it just started after that did you maybe over torque the spark plugs and crack the head?