lock out hubs

Asked by Feb 22, 2010 at 08:20 PM about the 1995 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD

I have a 95 Land Cruiser with full time 4 wheel drive. I found an aftermarket hub to allow the front to freewheel to improve mileage and handling. Handling was improved, but it did not want to go (felt like similar to a slipping clutch) and the ABS light came on and we started getting strange feedback from the brake pedal.

45

That's because in the transfer there is another diff and it will bee sliping on that. You need to buy a part time kit or I have put a transfer case out off a standed lc with 2wd and 4 high, low in mine works well. You could put your center diff lock in but the front diff is still turning no point. Hope that hlep any more questions just ask

20

The center differential must be locked if you remove the drive to either the front or rear wheels. This is because the vicous coupler inside the center diff will sense the loss of torque from the "missing" axle as if the vehicle is slipping on ice, so it will try to compensate. You will eventually (quickly) burn up the viscous coupler if you continue to drive it that way. If you remove the front drive shaft you can then lock the center diff, then remove the fuse to the diff lock, then put the diff lock lever back into High, then you will be driving in a sort of 2WD mode. hope that helps. For any question about Landcruisers the best forum on the web is IH8MUD dot com forums.

10

Capacitive couple the rear speed sensors to the front ones after disconnecting them from the front axle,I use super winch 30 spline manual lockout hubs.Only disconnect the wires from the front.This is on my 97 cruiser,2wd = 5 to 7 more mpg.And you can manually put in 4wd.Its only looking for a pulse from the axle that is keyed with a magnet that the sensor picks up.