2005 corolla i replaced my ecm with one off eba exact part number. car starts for secon then kills . do i need to program key or something

50

Asked by May 29, 2015 at 08:09 AM about the 2005 Toyota Corolla CE

i replaced the ecm on my 05 corolla with a used one off of ebay  the car will start for a half second then kills  only spins over after that.  do i need to program my key for this different ecm.  please  any info

Yes. see these sites http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2056484

Best Answer Mark helpful

http://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/4190/installing-a-used-ecm

http://www.justanswer.com/toyota/1zb3b-replace-ecu-used-junk-yard-toyota-corolla.html#re.v/181/

24,705

Why are you replacing that?

50

i connected jumper cables backwards

50

i connected jumper cables backwards old ecm was blowing AM2 fuse. bought ecm off ebay car will briefly start then just spins over. if i remove key and try agin it briefly starts then just spins. wandering if i need the new ecm flashed or what

When you do get it started your battery light will probably be on. When cables are hooked up backwards there is a diode in the alternator that usually blows

Did those instructions work?

50

i never could open the link to get the instructions

Oops. Two of the links no longer exist and the third id for remote fob. Sorry 'bout that. I Have the instructions stored I just have to find it. BRB

Sit in your Corolla, leaving only the driver's door open and unlocked. Place your key in the ignition and pull it out quickly. You have five seconds to perform this step two times. 2 Shut the driver's door and open it two times. Insert your key into the ignition and promptly remove it. Perform this step in 40 seconds. 3 Close your door and open it twice, place the key in the ignition and close the door one more time. Turn the key to the "On" position and then turn it back off and remove it from the ignition. You have 40 seconds to complete this step. 4 Listen for the door locks to cycle, which means they will lock and unlock on their own. The locks should cycle within three seconds of completing the third step. If they do not, it is an indication that you have not been successful in programming your transponder keys and will need to restart the process. 5 Locate the lock and unlock buttons on your keyless entry remote and hold them both down at the same time for a second and a half. Release both buttons and hold down the lock button for two seconds, until the door locks cycle once more. Your transponder key is now programmed

Important: not included there. You should have a master key. On the top of the blade right under the rubber should be a tiny dimple, a dot. Use that key first..It is a security thing to prove you are the owner of the car and not trying to program an additional cut key to steal the car

Like this click for full screen

without

That should work, but just in case here is another way. Don't worry about the part that says 'newly cut transponder key'. Same steps, you are not programming the key. Nothing happens to the key. You are 'teaching' the ECU to recognize it

Sit in the driver's side of the Toyota vehicle. Press and release the brake and gas pedal simultaneously. 3 Insert the master transponder key. Do not turn it. Push and release the gas pedal 5 times within at least 15 seconds of inserting the master key. 4 Press and release the brake pedal 6 times within 20 seconds of completing step 3, then remove the master transponder key. 5 Insert the newly cut transponder key into the ignition, but do not turn. Press the gas pedal once. 6 Wait up to 2 minutes or whenever the security light on the dashboard turns off. Once the light goes off, remove the new transponder key and press the brake pedal once. The new transponder key should now be programmed. Test the key by attempting to start the engine. If the engine does not start, repeat the steps above.

35

Thank You Fordnut, I was about to ask about programming a key but found this thread. You helped me once before with my windows. Now I think I get it, that when they program the key is a misnomer, at the dealer for my Avalon they did say a bunch of technical stuff I don't even begin to understand but I wondered why it was so expensive. All I wanted was a duplicate key. I know little to nothing about cars but it finally sunk in that the key is not programmed, the computer is.