Corolla 2003 loose wheel

90

Asked by Jan 13, 2016 at 12:58 AM about the 2003 Toyota Corolla CE

Hi
The front right tire is loose. The tire guy at
Costco pulled me aside and showed me
how loose it was by shaking it back and
forth. Any suggestions of the cause of
this? Also when making a 3 point turn I
hear clicking.

67,375

This is a serious front end issue. Ball joint, tie rod end, possibly drag link. All these things are basically what connects the front wheels to the steering wheel. You should not be driving the car until it's fixed!! HTH. -Jim

90

Any suggestions as to which type of mechanic I should take it to?

94,995

A good front end shop of your choice. Make sure they also check the C/V joints as that maybe the clicking.

90

Thank you! I am going tomorrow. The Meineke shop in our area has good reviews. I'll start there.

94,995

Good, I'm glad you checked the reviews, if they have good ones chances are high that they have been treating their customers right.

For what it's worth, I agree wtih all of the above. Depending on what exactly what the problem is, the wheel could just plain fall off, or lose steering..... and at 60 mph= disaster for you and anybody around you.

90

Here is the cost... Is this a fair price? It includes wheel alignment. On your car passenger front wheel bearing and lower ball joint is very bad. On the driver side the lower ball joint is also bad . After we replace those parts we will have to perform a wheel alignment on the car the cost for the repairs is 767.59 total that is including tax

94,995

That seems a bit high too me, what is the shops labor rate and are they using factory parts or aftermarket parts?

65,265

I agree with tennis - I would shop around.

I also agree. Too much for that service. But you have it right down to Dollars and cents. Do you have an itemized work order for that amount of money? The reason I ask is until they begin work, they don't know what all is damaged ot worn out. I am just wondering how they can give you that amount, unless the shop just wants to do everything, maybe something not needed

After looking around, I have discovered Meineke has far more better reviews than any other. Seems to me thay can be trusted, and if they inspected it, that's where the dollar amount came from, it still seems a bit costly, but they back up their work, You get what you pay for, a lesser ruputable shop won't.

90

Hi All, The quote was after they did a full inspection of the car. This shop has high ratings so I went ahead with the work. This is our commute car so we need it to hold up. Again thanks for all your feedback.

67,375

You're welcome. Glad to help. Also glad you had the work done. You can't put a price on your life or the lives of others! -Jim

Well put Jim. and Kimberly that $767 is money well spent because that is serious and loss of steering could cost you your life, and that is a pittance. The cost I mean not your car or life. I think I jumped to conclusions about the cost. You deserve a safe car.