Car alarm

60

Asked by Dec 18, 2015 at 02:07 PM about the 2002 Toyota Corolla S

My battery is dead and my alarm won't turn off.
There is a flashing red light on the left side of the
steering wheel. How do I get the alarm to go off so
my mechanic can start it up so he can fix my tire

What? First, your so-called 'mechanic' does not need to start the car to fix a tire. Second, if your battery was dead the little red LED would not be flashing, that indicates the anti-theft immobilizer is armed and ready. The alarm will not go off? I am missing something. I really want to help you Lay22, I know Corollas. Why does he need to start the car to pull a wheel off to fix a tire?

47,865

Sounds like you need to test the charging system and possibly get a new battery. Disconnect the battery and the alarm will go off.

47,865

Good afternoon FordNut! Seen any "Weiner" dogs today?

60

We disconnected the battery and when we reconnected it it was still going off

No, Bob, not today. Yet. And Good afternoon back at ya. But can you fill me in on what I am missing on this one? Am I confused, which I am easily confused, granted, but... ??

I have now

60

My mechanic also has to fix the muffler. How do I get the light to stop flash and my alarm to go off FordNut

Ok, Lay22, all the kidding aside, (inside joke) really, why does he need to start the car to fix a tire? When my alarm on my Corolla does that, all I have to do is either insert key in ignition or push the 'unlock' button on the fob and it shuts off

The anti-theft is not recognizing your key for some reason. Try another key if you have one.

60

That's the only key they have right now till tomorrow

Your Corolla may have what is called a piezoelectric microphone, part of the alarm system, that detects glass breakage and trips alarm. Some Corollas have that, some not. But if that device is shorted, it will continue to trip alarm until disconnected

60

When I bought the car it only came with one key I hope the spare key will work

60

How do I disconnect it?

Good question. I have been looking, not ignoring you. The only reason I know of this device is one time I rapped my knuckles, hard, on the window to wake up my wife whom had fallen asleep in the car and the alarm went off. I got to wondering why - the alarm tripped -- from that and found out about it. I can't find where it is, or a fuse for it.

https://www.viper.com/car/accessories/product/506t/audio-glass-break-sensor - is about all I can find. It's probably not that anyway, I was shooting from the hip. Sorry 'bout that -- Far more likely that back to key is not recognized.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota-Accessories-PT398-07131-Breakage/dp/B00AN6WO2S --- http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-alarm3.htm