2000 toyota corolla lx aut. 4cyl. car looses power no power on hills at all acts like it cannot breath...but trans shifts ok car will not pull hills and looses power

80

Asked by Aug 18, 2014 at 02:01 PM about the 2001 Toyota Corolla LE

car runs very rough and looses all power at times mainly on hills and inclines...on a
pull of any kind wont pull hills...it acts as tho it cant breathe could injectors fuel be a
problem or couple of them maybe...or could it be the cattilatic converter stopped up
and needs replaced or maybe a fuel filter we have replaced the spark plugs and did
some cleaning up around valves and adjusting also have put about 3 bottles of gumout
fuel inj carb cleaning system in gas tank it helped alot at first car started running pretty
good again and then 2 weeks or so later started acting up again and running poor...no
power...transm does shift ok car has real high mileage ...what about 02 sensor...egr
valve...mass air flo sensor...fuel press reg valve...sending unit i dont think its transm
filter kit...not sure it does shift...dont know if the torque converter would have something
to do with this or not help help help thanks ha ha

Is CEL (check Engine Light ) on? and do you mean LE not lx?

Best Answer
80

no its not on it appears and goes back off like it should..

80

yes i mean le not lx sorry where would the mass air flo sensor be located on the car and the air gas ratio sensor i think its called be located as well thanks sooo much you are very helpful you guys are great ha

It could be any of those things you listed, but it's odd it didn't throw a fault code. Rough running has nothing to do with torque converter. I don't know what to suggest except doing an OBD scan anyway, maybe the ECU did detect faults but for some reason the CEL does not light. Sorry Pam, really do wish I could help more than that. High miles? VERY high? The Corolla is one of the longest lasting cars on the road but has it's limits...maybe time for a new or good used car...don't let it become a money pit if it has 200,000 miles. You will fix one thing just to have something else go.

The MAF is right on the end of intake hose next to air cleaner

.click image for full screen ...this engine has a CAI Cold Air Intake, a marginal device that adds minimal horsepower and is illegal in many States. Now the air/fuel mixture is not one sensor, The MAF, the MAP, 02,sensors and others all send data to ECU to set mix

80

ok i will try to seek the fault codes further then after the scan ...and see what i can come up with there. thanks also the car is one owner car and has 231,000 on it and really has been a wonderful car for my mother she has got in turned the key for long years and that car has never let her down...its taken her and the family for many many miles...its still real nice and runs fairly good considering the mileage and wear and tear on it for real...straight driving down the road runs just fine go to make a stop or slow down then taking off is very slow and no power then will suddenly pick it back up about middle ways of hill or after accelerating for a few mins sometimes taking your foot off pedal it will go smoother and pick back up running better than give it little gas after power starts to kick back in and takes off thanks sooo much for all your help you been soo much help i needed the locations of mass flo sensor and the air fuel ratio sensor...thanks you have a good one im not giving up yet then get another car for mom ha

Come back with the codes...I have a feeling you will get some from a good scanner. I will look for it or PM me

I have a Corolla, and am very happy with it my self. I could write it's praises a long time , and here are the cons: . no trunk release on remote fob but I can live with that. Nothing else

Re reading you post, that's in the power band and maybe a cleaning the throttle body will help. I am not real big on fix-it-in-a-can stuff but some SeaFoam in a tank of gas...sure won't hurt. Just get the right SeaFoam, they offer several different products...get the one that will clean injectors and only do that ONE time

10

I have a 2016 Toyota Corolla (have only had I it 1 1/ month) While driving it on the freeway, it lost power even though I was trying to accelerate to get off the freeway. The check engine line went on and the Trac Off and also started to shake. The car wouldn't go over 10-15 miles mph. I had it towed to a dealership and was told: 1st update: that the piston was blown, the compression was off and the coils may be bad. 2nd update: Waiting to hear back from Toyota to see what they want them to do with the car. 3rd update: The car had a computer problem and will be ready to be picked up tomorrow. I don't understand how it wemt from a piston, compression, coil problem to just a computer issue. Any thoughts??

10

Hey i got a 2000 toyota corolla. And I have the same problem Like pamela. It has bad pick up on hills and when I'm at the stop sign it takes a while for it to pick up. I have replaced the 02 sensor the mass air flow sensor the evap canister spark plugs air filter. And put in a whole bottle of Lucas complete fuel system cleaner. It got a Little better but then it went back to the same. And all those parts I got I got them at toyota. When I bought my corolla it had realy realy nice pick up. I could just tap the gas pedal and it would just go. But ever since the used car lot put in the 02 senor that's when it was acting up. I already took it to a shop and did the smoke test and they said that I need it to replace the mass air flow sensor. And I told them that I already replaced it. So now I don't know what else to do. Can u help me out ??