WHY DO BRAKE LIGHTS STAY ON WHEN CAR IS OFF

Asked by Jul 23, 2013 at 08:38 PM about the 2001 Toyota Corolla CE

23,305

brake peddle retracting spring weak ,or levers need lubed

115,795

Bad brake light switch, brake lights shorted to power.

Those guys are right on...unplug the electrical connector to the switch- the brake lights should now be off. If they are, replacing the switch will solve the problem.

1,050

Check for the cushion (part # 90541-06036). If you find plastic pieces on your mat near the brake and accelerator pedals, then its an indication that you need to replace the cushion. When the brake switch is not pressed due to missing cushion pad on the brake pedal then the brake light is always on which causes it to drain your battery and overheat the brake switch which it turns switches on the Check engine light. This small item will cost $3 at a toyota dealership. You may replace it by yourself if you have a torch but its a little hard to get reach of it but will save you on money.

270

I sorted mine with a $1 coin and duct tape... Should get me to a dealership for a proper cushion

60

Does anybody know the exact name of the brake pedal cushion? I found those rubber pieces below it. I have a 94 Corolla. Thank your for you help.

115,795

Do you mean the brake pedal stop, the one that keeps it from going too far when you release the pedal?

60

Yes, that part.

60

Called bumpers

190

My car is a 95 Toyota Corolla dx my brake lights stay on when car is off

190

My car is a 95 Toyota Corolla dx my brake lights stay on when car is off where is the electric switch located at

270

Look on the brrake lever, there will be a switch. Does anything touch the switch when the lever is not pressed? There should be a rubber bumper that presses the switch. DavidH, above, has an answer showing the assembly. Hashimer, above, has an answer suggesting to look for the bumper part.

140

I have a 2001 Toyota Corolla and just had this problem today. First of all, make sure to remove the brake light fuse so you don't burn out your lights/battery (for my car the fuse box is behind the storage container left of steering wheel, STOP lights, fuse 15). Just make sure to put it back later! I still had my bumper, it had broke off and was on the driver's side floorboard, so I somehow managed to tape it back in place until I can get the new part.

10

i did found the little pieces of the bumper on the floor. i wish someone would draw a diagram on exactly how to do it. i'm a elderly lady , but have done most everything myself , only because i couldn't afford to pay people. so if someone could send me a diagram i would deeply appreciate it . thanking you again

140

Sorry to hear you're having trouble, the diagram DavidH25 posted was really helpful but I labeled the place where the rubber bumper is supposed to go. Hope this helps!

10

Just wanted to say thank you guys for your amazing photos, diagrams, and for listing the part number! I was able to get my car (96 Corolla) working for now with two pennies and superglue, although I have the OEM parts ordered and coming in in two days :) FWIW I also found pieces of the rubber bumper on the floor mat (in 3 parts).

fixed the issue by putting a coin right in between.

1996 Toyota corolla: I used a couple of small wire ties (zip ties) through the hole the rubber bumper (cushion) mounts in for the break peddle switch. Then trimmed the excess off the wire ties so they wont get caught up in anything & possibly keep the break peddle from operating correctly.

10

Champions!! I've been having this issue on and off over the past 12 months (93 corolla) now I know what the problem is I'll sort it out, having to jump start this little gem after work tonight has certainly given me motivation.

10

My switch wore a hole through the rubber, the zip tie idea will get me to a parts store without the cops riding my back.

I had this issue about 2 months ago on my ute...fixed it with 2 buttons glued together...works a treat...just had my Toyota Coaster do the same tonight, so I'm pretty sure the same issue and with the same fix...good thing I am a hoarder and have heaps of buttons...I am in the process of de-hoarding and was going to toss my buttons out a few months ago...something tells me I shouldn't but i must, very soon!!!