WHY DO BRAKE LIGHTS STAY ON WHEN CAR IS OFF

Asked by Jul 23, 2013 at 08:38 PM about the 2001 Toyota Corolla CE

26,815

brake peddle retracting spring weak ,or levers need lubed

151,445

Bad brake light switch, brake lights shorted to power.

Those guys are right on...unplug the electrical connector to the switch- the brake lights should now be off. If they are, replacing the switch will solve the problem.

1,430

Check for the cushion (part # 90541-06036). If you find plastic pieces on your mat near the brake and accelerator pedals, then its an indication that you need to replace the cushion. When the brake switch is not pressed due to missing cushion pad on the brake pedal then the brake light is always on which causes it to drain your battery and overheat the brake switch which it turns switches on the Check engine light. This small item will cost $3 at a toyota dealership. You may replace it by yourself if you have a torch but its a little hard to get reach of it but will save you on money.

330

I sorted mine with a $1 coin and duct tape... Should get me to a dealership for a proper cushion

100

Does anybody know the exact name of the brake pedal cushion? I found those rubber pieces below it. I have a 94 Corolla. Thank your for you help.

151,445

Do you mean the brake pedal stop, the one that keeps it from going too far when you release the pedal?

100

Yes, that part.

90

Called bumpers

330

My car is a 95 Toyota Corolla dx my brake lights stay on when car is off

330

My car is a 95 Toyota Corolla dx my brake lights stay on when car is off where is the electric switch located at

330

Look on the brrake lever, there will be a switch. Does anything touch the switch when the lever is not pressed? There should be a rubber bumper that presses the switch. DavidH, above, has an answer showing the assembly. Hashimer, above, has an answer suggesting to look for the bumper part.

290

I have a 2001 Toyota Corolla and just had this problem today. First of all, make sure to remove the brake light fuse so you don't burn out your lights/battery (for my car the fuse box is behind the storage container left of steering wheel, STOP lights, fuse 15). Just make sure to put it back later! I still had my bumper, it had broke off and was on the driver's side floorboard, so I somehow managed to tape it back in place until I can get the new part.

50

i did found the little pieces of the bumper on the floor. i wish someone would draw a diagram on exactly how to do it. i'm a elderly lady , but have done most everything myself , only because i couldn't afford to pay people. so if someone could send me a diagram i would deeply appreciate it . thanking you again

290

Sorry to hear you're having trouble, the diagram DavidH25 posted was really helpful but I labeled the place where the rubber bumper is supposed to go. Hope this helps!

30

Just wanted to say thank you guys for your amazing photos, diagrams, and for listing the part number! I was able to get my car (96 Corolla) working for now with two pennies and superglue, although I have the OEM parts ordered and coming in in two days :) FWIW I also found pieces of the rubber bumper on the floor mat (in 3 parts).

fixed the issue by putting a coin right in between.

1996 Toyota corolla: I used a couple of small wire ties (zip ties) through the hole the rubber bumper (cushion) mounts in for the break peddle switch. Then trimmed the excess off the wire ties so they wont get caught up in anything & possibly keep the break peddle from operating correctly.

30

Champions!! I've been having this issue on and off over the past 12 months (93 corolla) now I know what the problem is I'll sort it out, having to jump start this little gem after work tonight has certainly given me motivation.

30

My switch wore a hole through the rubber, the zip tie idea will get me to a parts store without the cops riding my back.

I had this issue about 2 months ago on my ute...fixed it with 2 buttons glued together...works a treat...just had my Toyota Coaster do the same tonight, so I'm pretty sure the same issue and with the same fix...good thing I am a hoarder and have heaps of buttons...I am in the process of de-hoarding and was going to toss my buttons out a few months ago...something tells me I shouldn't but i must, very soon!!!

10

My back Toyota vitz light has been on almost all night yesterday, I had to turn on the car and then off so that the light goes off. This happened throughout the whole night. What should I do?

10

Hey folks, love you all for posting about this. Its exactly my problem on my '95 Toyota, found part on mat, etc. But have a few questions: the part Carquest sold me doesnt look like the part that broke, which looks like hasimmer posted. I assume thats ok? Second, how do you get it in place? It looks like you madh the brake pedal and then squeeze it in--except I cant get it in. Seems too big. So thought maybe I'd try the penny/button route-- but how do you get that to stay? Glue?

10

Oh, i forgot... i was trying to put part where pushrod is. I put coin there and lights went out. How do you put part up by switch? How unplug switch? I'm afraid of breaking it

10

Just put a right sided screw into the hole where the cushion sits and secure with a bolt on the other end. The screw head then serves as a plunger which pushes against the switch when pedal is released. At least metal wont break as easily as lousy plastic parts. This was a lousy design and engineering should remove the need for cushion altogether by manufacturing everything metal with a piston that presses against the switch. imho

It just happened to me last night, brake lights stayed on. Great to see different kinds of suggestions from different people, thanks. I have adapted the screw idea, very simple, took a pan head 8/32 bolt by about 1/2 inch long and inserted from the top where the original bumper would go in from the top and secured it with a nut from the other side and even put also a lock washer to ensure it will never loosen up, really simple. The location is a little of a pain but not too bad.

I own a seventh-generation Toyota Celica and I was utterly confused by my car's brake lights suddenly being constantly on. I was kinda lucky that I come across this page and see all the various responses. I found the culprit being the plastic cushion as I see pieces as hashimmir has mentioned. Will soon fix my issue possibly by using a nut and bolt, if not something else.