I have a 2000 toyota Corolla Ill be driving and my spedometor will start dropping and no matter how much I give it gas it keeps dropping then it will just start driving ok and spedometer will go back up, What is the problem? its like gas quit going to it.

Asked by Apr 18, 2013 at 12:57 AM about the 2000 Toyota Corolla CE

ill be driving then my car will go from 30 and start dropping and no matter how much gas i
give it it wont speed up then it will start picking up speed again

The way you worded that I am not sure if you mean your car slows down or your speedometer just drops??? OK Let's go with your car slows down. You are already on the right track about gas, It sounds like a fuel delivery problem, start by changing the fuel filter. It's starving for fuel probably. Then get your OBD codes scanned at any large parts house and write down the codes and bring them back here, we will be happy to discuss what to do next when we have more information, namely fault codes.

On the 2000 Corolla there are two fuel filters. One of them is inside the gas tank, but not really all that hard to get to. There is an access panel to get to the fuel pump and filter. It has 10 bolts and don't try to do this yourself unless you have at least a moderate amount of experience, you need not be an expert master mechanic, but it's not a DIY thing if you have no experience working on cars. Try just changing the fuel filter that is under the hood first, it a simple in~line filter, a small canister on the fuel supply line. Sometimes bolted to the firewall, my '06 has one like that. ****PULL THE FUSE from the fuel pump and take the gas cap off before you unhook the old filter***

10

Hello sorry for my english im from sweden but if that happends when there has been raining and mutch smog out in the air its happends to my car too.Its because there are cables in the engine like thoose ho cames from the engine and goes awey to the box.They are so thin that its make this joke if i said to the car because there is wet weather outside and its does effect the cabelsystem some hove some where.Its not any big problem its just that somewhere the thin cable makes this confusing thing. Take a watch if this happends when it has been wet outside the weather and if it does this then its this problem.My dad is a heck of problem finder in cars so i try to learn from him. Some time when its happends its like the car doesent respond on the gas when you puch it down its like the engine is sleeping and then when the cables are starting getting warm its startes working as usual. You can send me an email on ( sprad@spray.se) if you check if this happends when it wet weather outside.