Transmission fluid change

80

Asked by Oct 10, 2013 at 11:38 PM about the 1999 Toyota Corolla VE

I have a 99 Corolla , I bought at the end of Aug. this year. I just recently changed the transmission fluid and the fluid was very black when it drained, but when noticing it closely it did have the reddish color. I think it was possibly the original trans fluid. Anyway mileage was about 113k / How can I keep it clean between changes? Because not all the old fluid comes out when it is changed. Do I change it very soon again? And if so how many miles until I change it again? Or is there another way to drain the most trans fluid out of the transmission?

298,845

What you did was a drain and fill, replacing some of the fluid, which is the preferred method with that many miles. To drain ALL of the fluid, you would have to do a trans flush. But I would do another drain and fill like you did, and then do it again every 15-30K miles after that.

Or you can drop the pan. It will not get ALL of the fluid as Tom describes, but more than just from drain plug.... and a flush will pick up small debris in the bottom of the pan and in filter screen where it does no harm... and circulate it through your transmission. If you do drop the pan you will see the filter screen. and also the pan has a magnet on the bottom to collect metal 'dust' that can be cleaned and replaced. (Replaced with same magnet, I don't mean you need a new one) The screen can then be cleaned or replaced with new. And I agree with Tom about the next one 30k miles, but not dropping the pan, just drain and fill.

395

You r never be able to suck out fluid from convertor. Only few shops have that. Thru more oil changes would help

Steva Yes I was going to metion the convertor Too !

30

How much transmission oil do we need drain and fiill for 2016 Toyota Corolla with cat transmission

20

I just did the transmission service on a 2010 Toyota Corolla LE. I drained the fluid, refilled it, and drove it around for a few miles. I repeated this three times, and the last time I drained it, I pulled the pan, replaced the filter and the pan gasket, and refilled it. On the first drain the fluid was black. By the third drain it was nice and translucent pink. It cost you a little more in transmission fluid to do it this way, but it's way cheaper than paying the shop $200 to do it. You essentially replace about 80 to 90% of the old fluid this way. I did it for a total of about $40 including the filter. The critical thing to remember is not to tighten the bolts for the pan too tight. Get a rubber gasket instead of a cork one. Also, make sure you clean out the the inside of the pan and clean the magnets and put them back where the indicator marks are. The dealership will tell you that the transmission fluid is good for a hundred thousand miles. That's a bunch of BS. Do this every 50,000 miles.

20

The transmission pan on mine has a drain plug in it. Makes the job a whole lot easier.

20

I've also heard that the Toyota ATF transmission fluid is garbage. I would get another brand name transmission fluid That's rated for Toyotas.