How easy is it for someone to unplug the odometer from a 1999 Toyota Corolla CE?

50

Asked by Aug 20, 2014 at 03:20 PM about the 1999 Toyota Corolla CE

Someone has been getting into my car, without my permission, and driving it.
Please explain how they disconnect the odometer to get away with this.
Thank you soo much,
I have a stalker, police reports made.

The mileage is recorded in the ECU and can be retrieved with the proper scanner. And its possible but difficult to disable the odometer, it is illegal so it has a tamper resistant connector. How do you know it's being driven?

PS I believe you, not questioning that it has been driven

50

1/4 tank down when we got in it today. happens a lot too, and we have a locking gas cap.

For under $100 you can buy a camera, and another $60 for a digital recorder that runs in a 24 hour loop. Just a thought. Or new locks, but that can get expensive. If that were happening to me I would do the camera, they can be hidden and will record in surprisingly low light. If I caught the creep it is money well spent. try to point it at car from passenger side, if pointed to drivers side you might only catch his/her back and no face to ID. Or even from front to back. And the dealer like I said can retrieve the real mileage from the cars computer, that is stored there not in the dash odometer. I have a camera on mine, matter of fact a Corolla since somebody keyed it, badly. all the way from gas cap to drivers door handle. I felt friggin' VIOLATED, and that's not even as bad as what is happening to you. Dumb-@ss could have put gas in it, but even if they did, you would be able to tell. Subtle things, odors, just a Feeling somebody's been in your car, intangible

What I don't get id disabling the odo. Its somebody that really knows what they are doing. There was a ring of chop-shops busted not long ago tampering with Camry and Corolla odometers, but they were swapping out entire dashboards, and bot busted the way i described, the investigation led to them and the case was proven by the mileage from the computer. Felony. You catch these creep(s) and they will spend a long time in jail.

50

Thank you soo much!!! Where can we get a camera w/24 hour loop? No lithium battery, they blow up?

No. They have to be plugged in.I got mine at Radio Shack. BestBuy has them. And I don't know where you heard that, I have lithium batteries in my phone, laptop, keyfob, and other stuff, never had one blow up, the only battery I know that will explode is a regular car battery

50

thanx again!!

(^_^)

340

Sorry to disappoint you. But you have been given bad information! You can actually unplug the VSS and does not record speed nor data. As the computer can not record what it does not see!

340

So..it is possible to disable the odometer without someone's knowledge!