Looking for Name of Part

Asked by Oct 03, 2016 at 02:52 PM about the 1997 Toyota Corolla DX

A few weeks ago I got a busted tire on a very busy and heavy construction
interstate. When the Front Passenger tire busted the, inner fender ripped
off and I ended up having to purchase a new Rim and tire.
A later discovery I noticed that I had no power to my a/c as well as my no
power to windshield wipers.  Above my tire to the right is a hole and on the
other side is something that looks like a wiring harness with lots of little
fuses and a connector. I put electrical tape around all of the little wires and
all the exposed wire. I am looking to gain a little more insight on what this
part is and where to buy it and how to find an install manual for it. PLEASE
HELP

94,465

post a photo of the part

Please See picture below

I think this is the hole where it goes

This is the hose that was dragging on my tire. If i could get a name of the part and stuff I can look it up in my manual and also look for replacement parts of talk to someone at the junkyard. How do you advise I go about working on this..?

20,985

It looks like a part of the engine wiring harness, and as you are having problems with the AC and wipers, that seems to confirm that. You would need that part of the harness, if you go to any salvage yard or pull-a-part, look for your year/make/model of vehicle, their computers will also indicate if they have matching vehicles. Take a lot of pictures of the part you need (try getting a wider shot too, so you can see where in the engine bay this part is), then go to the yard and if they have a matching vehicle, go out and pull that part. (this will give you a chance to see how it is connected without having to pull yours apart yet.) If you're satisfied you have the right part go back to your car and swap them. Now, in all honesty, it is hard to find a correct and matching wiring harness, even from identical cars. You might not be able to find one that matches yours exactly. In that case you might have to repair your existing one. It doesn't look too bad, just abraded and some wires lost their insulating cover and are probably shorting. You may also have some blown fuses. If you've never spliced automotive wiring, you may want to leave it up to a pro, or get a good guide on it. You'll need a soldering iron and some shrink-wrap heat tubing. Good luck.

Thank you so much for the assistance. I was looking in the little hole and I do not know how to reconnect it. I was going to try that and test fuses. Then call a pro.

20,985

If you do have shorts that are blowing fuses, you can replace the fuse but they'll just blow again. The damaged part looks like it's a wire harness, it should just be a bundle of wires and a connector, there shouldn't be any fuses in that mix. (fusible links do exist elsewhere tho, namely running to the starter and starter relay). Unfortunately for you the harness in question is not an easy spot to access. I couldn't tell you if this portions runs back to another connector that you can easily disconnect, or if this portion is tied directly to the overall harness that will either need to be spliced back together or you'll have to swap out the entire engine harness (which can run several hundred bucks).

After taking to a shop I got a pretty good quote that I'm satisfied with paying. I used the knowledge I was given from Ken to my advantage to ensure I didn't get used. Anywho, the engine wire harness needs to be replaced. I found 2 online one has a warranty and is about $120 its the same make a model but a different year. Can I order it ? Then I saw another thats a 1.6L but I have a 1.8L? More help lol

20,985

Are you going to do the work yourself or the shop? If the shop is doing the work, let them order the part, that way they are responsible for getting the right part. If you order the wrong part, you may have to pay a restocking fee to return it. If you order it, you need to make sure it is the right year and for the exact engine you have (1.8L).

The shop is working on it but they cannot find the part anywhere in the city. None of the junkyards have it. I was trying to be proactive and purchase one with the warranty off ebay. But I will update them and tell them to look. Toyota no longer makes the part either.

20,985

Oh ok, turning into a real pain in the ..., LOL. Maybe let the shop look at the ebay auction or print it out for them to see what the part is, the only problem with getting something for a different year is IF the factory made some minute change, and now you have a connector that doesn't plug into something on the engine. If the ebay auction part has a part number, compare it to the one specified for your vehicle. You can get the part number for your engine harness by plugging in your vehicle's info on any parts website, or even from the local dealership, then compare it to the one in the auction. If they're the same part, should have the same part number.