computer box mulfunction

10

Asked by Jul 15, 2015 at 09:34 AM about the 1995 Toyota Corolla LE

My Toyota corolla  gle 1.60 model 1995 ,,,, not  starting  , I bought a new distributor but still ,,,second mechanic  said computer box in damaged / not supplying power ,,

Your 1995 Corolla has the 1.6L 4A FE (It has early MPFI, Multi-Port Fuel injection, i.e. an injector for each cylinder). Without more information we can't really dispute the mechanic's diagnosis of a bad ECU, or 'brain'. It happens. The good news is it is not difficult to access, not labor intensive and a new one ( I recommend not buying a used ECU, although they can be had for $20- $40 on eBay if you are really strapped for cash) and a new one for about $100 or so.

Meantime it wouldn't hurt to have a look at these fuses. Fuse #'s 3 & 5 in blue. They supply power to injectors. The wire for the injectors is hot at all times, and at the proper time the ECU 'tells' the injector to release fuel and the circuit is completed by ground. With this set-up, wire powered up at all times can short and blow fuses 3 & 5. I have seen that happen too. Now, the reason some of it is redundant or not applicable is this diagram is for all Trims for 1995. For Example only the LE had anti lock brakes. Click for full screen

10

thanks I have the whole weekend to look for these tips , heee thanks

595

Go to your local parts store and borrow/rent a set if NOID lights to confirm actual injector signals from the ECM. In 50+ years as a mechanic, I've only had to replace 4 or 5 failed ECMs, so as suspicious as i am in this area, try not to think zebras when you hear hoof beats. Just saying..........

10

thanks it looks helpful as I suspect brake pads are gone, will do it weekend

595

There are no brake pads in your ECU. Do you mean your brake pads are "gone" ...... like in stolen............. or just worn out?

65

Any updates on this? I have the same problem with my '96 corolla. Check Engine light does not come up when car is switched on. Replaced Distributor and had it tested (works in the autosupply shop, but wont when plugged back to the car). Checked all fuses, everything works fine. Local mechanic advised its probably the computer box. Car is 19yrs old, never once had an issue with the computer box.

10

If the engine light doesn't come on, then it probably is the Computer box.

I have 97 corolla, my mechanic said my computer box was toast and need tobe replaced. This were diagnose upon replacing the spurplug and fuel injector with a new one upon not engine starting when ignition. Im not convince on my mechanic because before the only problem of my car were the clutch and hard to start (takes min.) Now totally dead.

Help I have a 07 corolla codes bad ECU, Problem is only when its cold like below 30 it runs but real ruff at ideal till it warms up then its fine. I've tried 2 used off ebay with same numbers and it won't even start with those ECU. Do I have to match the same squ numbers or just part numbers??