Corolla Cranks but won't start

50

Asked by Dec 30, 2010 at 09:22 PM about the 1995 Toyota Corolla DX

I have a corolla that will crank over but won't fire up ( start). I've replaced the spark plugs w/(ngk), wires (std), cap & rotor. I get fuel, spark, and sometimes it sound as if it wants to catch (briefly) and start but doesn't. I want to  suggest the crank positioning sensor, but am not sure if I would be getting spark if it was bad. Any suggestions would be appreciated sooner better cant miss too much work. Thanks In advance.

95

Does it have an alternator?

50

Yes , and I have checked that also . i'm leaning toawards one of the three: tps-throttle pos. sens. cps- crank pos sens. cts- coolant temp sens. not sure yet but will run ohm test this weekend and will post.

100

Crank pos sensor

100

Crank sensor

10

Had a crank but no start on my wifes 98 corolla, checked fuel, ignition power, and compression and was leaning towards a bad crank sensor, thats when I came across the Check Engine Light info. Turns out if the light never goes on when you turn the key its most likely a commuter problem, so I decided to look over the schematic and check the +B, turns out its feeds through a EFI HEATER relay. I located the relay and I pulled it I noticed one of the pins were rusted. Just the act of pulling the relay out and putting it back in cleaned the pin enough and the car started. I dabbed a little copper never seize on the pins and it worked fine, that was 5 years ago and my daughter is still driving it... I