1994 ck engine lite code 82

Asked by Feb 17, 2010 at 02:31 PM about the 1994 Toyota Corolla LE

This car has been great!  Until 2-3 years ago the check engine light came on and off intermittentlyl.  It has been on the diagnostic machine at 3 different garages.  They all said it was code 82, which they said, is not a definitive or "good" code.  I had no problems with it and was told as long as it is intermittent, that the light is just malfunctioning. (they also reset the codes, but the light, same code, would come back on.  Then, October 2009, it just quit while I was driving.  Couldn't start it.  The garage said it needed a coil and plug wires.  They put the coil in and my daughter put the plug wires in.  It worked just fine.  Meanwhile, because they(garage)recommended it, she bought a rotor and distributor cap.  She finally got around to installing them a few weeks later. (I wasn't having any trouble with it but the light still went on and off) The very next day, the car died on me 3 times, but would immediately restart.  The next day I took it to a station who tried a different distributor cap.  I took it home and it stopped on me again so I took it back.  The mechanic tried everything he could think of and finally said the only thing he could think of that MIGHT be the problem was the computer.  I chose not to get a new one due to the price and that it was just a last ditch effort and no guarantees.  So, we spent several days trying to find another used computer.  I even went on Ebay.  We never found one that had the exact number as mine.  It is 89661-1A151 7AFE.  Can anyone help with this?  Thank you so much just for reading this.

take it to autozone get the full DTC number P0***

John, thank you for responding; however, I don't know what a DPC number is and haven't found a definition on line. Would you please elaborate?

a 1994 will not have a full DTC number such as P0*** pre 1996 is known as OBD-1. it is not as simple to diagnose as its OBD-II Counterpart however all the codes im finding online semm to TCM communication error however i can not find a DTC 82 i found 81 82 83 84 they say TCM error or Transmission Control Module. so instead of looking for an ECM it sounds like you need a TCM to me but im just guessing here as i can not find the code 82 any where. heres a tip you can check the code yourself if you jup TE1 and EC1 terminals with a paper clip then turn your key on and count the flashes of the check engine light it flashes a 2 digit number example 8-flashes= 8 pause 2 flashes = 2 restarts this equals a code 82 try this and see what you get.

Ryan, thank you for the detailed reply! I am intimidated by all this, but will ask a friend to do what you describe.