1003 corolla I washed the engine and now it wont start

Asked by Aug 20, 2015 at 02:10 PM about the 1993 Toyota Corolla Base

I just bought the car that afternoon and took it home 3 miles maybe and engine was very dirty . so I used dish soap in a spray bottle and sprayed the whole bottle on the engine and then used a hose and rinsed it off I did not cover any thong I was just carefull and did not spray directly on alt or distrubuter but I am sure they got a little wet . bout an hour after I washed it I started it and drove it 1 mile or so but not far and it would not start and when it did it was running real rough and puttering am
nd was un able to drive home so I left it in a parking lot and came back the next day and now it wont start at all just turns over

68,655

The ignition system is wet. Remove the distributor cap and dry it out thoroughly. Spray some WD-40 under the distributor cap as well and wipe dry. Make sure that the spark plug wires are dry as well. Same goes for the ignition coil. HTH. - Jim

Starting fluid works also to dry inside distributor cap. But Jim's advice you can take to the bank, good as gold. But don't drain your battery attempting to start it. It either will start or not, extended cranking will damage your starter and battery. I have a feeling that in a day or two it's going to fire right up.

8,420

I show a set of individual coil on plug for that year, if you mean 2003. There is info to read and learn for the system used in the YMM of your car thru google. you can see what it uses and how it triggers, as well as discussion by those in need of help. There are threads having issues leading the reader to believe they are sensitive even when water is not the issue. A manual for the system can be found free at a public library for testing and specs if you cannot access online where the car is parked. There are many other ideas to help if you cannot have it taken to your place or a shop. feel free to update as you go and we'll see what you have for testing results.

8,420

If you mean 1993, and jim has you goin, now, then it's just steam from the wash job. Some of those plug wires can be repaired and reused at the plug end with some finesse. random missfire and misfire under load would be the symptom after it starts. The cap and wires are best purchased from a nippondenso source or beck arnley in my experience. They actually use metal cables covered with silicone. Like the OEM were. The wrecking yards are full of these cars and you see brightly colored red orange blue parts everywhere on them as a last attempt. NOT recommended.