Starter / Cylinoid issues?

Asked by Jan 16, 2010 at 11:53 AM about the 1990 Toyota Corolla Base

Hello,

I have an 4A - F - E engine. When my starter turns it sounds great and it was having no problem for the longest time. However, recently I am experience nothing happening when I turn it except when I jump it off. I first thought it was the battery (because I had some alternator / battery issues a couple of weeks ago), then I thought it was just a worn battery (from the alternator problems) that just hadn't gotten back up to a full charge yet and was having problems on these cold cold days that we have been having lately. Once I got it started for the day, I had no problems with it re-starting as it didn't sit (and get cold) for too long.

But now we have been having nice days and it is getting to where it doesn't want to start after I cut it off unless I jump it. I have had the battery checked and it is to full charge. I was wondering if it might be the starter cylinoid and, if so, is that a separate part on this model or is is part of (or worked into) the starter ? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lazlo

i think you killed part of the starter when you jumped it. battery sounds bad too. if your starter is a 2 piece (like fords) then change whats bad. if it a 1 piece then starter is bad. it does happen.

If the starting makes a clicking sound,you can remove the solenoid cover(the gold colored 3 bolt cover)and check the two L-shaped contacts. If one is worn down more than the other the soleniod disk will not make contact. These parts are available and easily replaced.You can also check the brushes while the starter is off,if brush lead is not touching holder they will have several starts left.