Buying a first car

40

Asked by Nov 07, 2016 at 08:52 PM about the 2005 Toyota Celica GT

Hi, I am a 16 year old boy looking to buy a
car. I am not dumbfounded when it comes
to cars but I wanted to ask a few
questions. First of all, I know that Toyota is
a reliable brand so that's why I am set on
the Toyota Celica (open to changing my
mind).  I chose this car in particular
because;
A) I like the look of it
B) I wanted something sporty
C) I've heard it's got great gas mileage
D) I've heard it's reliable (not sure what u
guys think)

I also don't have too much money so my
price range is around 4-7 thousand. I'd
also be open to (rx8, mazda3, Acura RSX,
Acura integra, Hyundai genisis) and so on.
I found an ad in Kijiji that had a 2005 GT
Toyota Celica which is perfect. However
when I looked at how many "clicks" it had
it listed 193,000.
Is this an ok mileage for a first used car?
Is this a good first car given the
circumstances?
If not what else would you suggest?
(Sporty, Reliable, cheap, good looking)

Any help would be awesome thanks so
much guys.

74,095

The mileage on a car really depends on how well the car was maintained which is very hard to know as few people keep records. Clearly the lower the miles the better but if you can find someone who is selling their "baby" and it is super clean and has complete maintenance records but has high miles I would consider it. I would stay away from the rotary engine cars though. Another consideration is how many miles you plan on driving. A high mile car could last you for years if you only drive 5,000 a year.

40

Thanks for the reply, I assume in terms of staying away from rotary you are talking about he rx8? I would be driving around 4500k a year. Talking more about the celica 2005 GT do you think the car itself is good quality/good choice? What are your thoughts? Thanks a lot. Why don't I show you an exact link http://m.autotrader.ca/a/5_28380503? ursrc=mb_mhl&upsp=2&upsc=5&prx=0&oru p=2_10_74&srt=3&showVs=1

74,095

I am not going to give you an opinion on any particular car as I can't inspect it myself. If you don't have much experience with cars I would take someone along who does or take it to a mechanic to check out. Keep in mind that you will need to budget for insurance, maintenance and repairs too. Toyota's are good cars in general but a lot can happen to a car over a period of 12 years.

40

Ok I will take that into consideration thanks.

98,345

Make up the list of cars you like then contact your insurance agent and go through the list, you will find that any of the performance cars are going to be sky high insurance rates, so for sure the RX8 and the RSX will be out of the question, so that just leaves you with three to choose from, and it is just my opinion but drop the Hyundai, very poor machines those are, so really you have 2 very reliable and good choices, all you have to do is figure what one will cost the least to operate and insure. HTH

40

Awesome that helps a lot. I appreciate it. Another factor would be the winter. Hear in winter temps can reach -45celcius and snow and ice. I'm sure between the integra and the celica it wouldent matter it would just come down to the tires. Studded, winter tires or all seasons?

40

If anyone else would like to give any input as to the particular model and engine I'm all ears.

98,345

If you do have to run on snow and ice then studded tires or if you can find them, nut shell se were very good in packed snow and icy roads, but they are getting very hard too find any more. Of course snow chains or the wheel spiders are a last resort but sometimes you got to go with them, the spiders will cause less damage if they come apart but they are expensive. Good luck in your research.

74,095

The best winter tires are probably Nokians. Studded tires are not legal in all areas. Be sure and winterize your car too. Check the coolant and make sure the freezing point is low enough and install a engine heater.

69,295

When shopping for a car, as others have said it's very important to do your homework. Get a vehicle history report such as Carfax, vincheck, etc. Look for frequent service records, especially vehicles that were taken back to the dealer for service and repair. Visit carcomplaints.com and research the vehicles you're interested in. You'll see trends for problem areas on specific vehicle makes and models. Stay away from vehicles that have had multiple owners, accidents, and little or no service records on the history report. Most reputable shops report to Carfax, for example. So if service records are lacking ask the seller to see their receipts. If it's a do it yourselfer that's ok as long as they have receipts for the work they've done. Higher mileage isn't always the "kiss of death" if the vehicle was taken care of. But it's still higher mileage so expect things to break along the way. I bought my '03 S-10 Pick Up in 2011 with 264,000 miles on it. It was a retired work truck so I was familiar with it. It's a second vehicle but I still have it and at 289,000 miles it runs like a champ! Stay away from sports cars, only because of your age and the cost of insurance. You have plenty of time later for that! Best of luck on your first car!! HTH. -Jim

40

Thanks very much

69,295

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim