My 2001 Celica GT cranks, but nothing electrical on the car works except for the dome light, door ajar light, and the headlights. Help?

40

Asked by Feb 10, 2015 at 05:14 PM about the 2001 Toyota Celica GT

Just bought this Celica from an auction. We've repaired the wreck and other damage. However, the electrical components in the car will not turn on, except for the dome light and the door ajar light. The dash gauges, the clock, the cig lighter, radio, power windows and locks, the A/C....nothing. These all worked at the auction, though. We've checked all of the fuses in all three boxes and replaced any that were blown. Still, nothing will turn on. Help?

7,035

Have you tried charging the battery? Jump start? Sounds to me like the battery is almost bone dry. If you get a good enough charger, like a CTEK with recondition options, it might bring it back and make it last a lot longer than a normal charger.

40

The battery is brand new, and my Dad has checked the charge (He's has 30+ years as mechanic under his belt, and he's stumped). And as stated, the car cranks. If I needed to, I could go drive it right now. My only fear would be a ticket, since the speedometer doesn't work. It doesn't have any mechanical issues, and for a Celica it only has 133k miles on it.

7,035

My apologies, I got caught up in all the things not working. I would look into a wiring diagram showing you which fuses and relays control the cabin area, like the main relay or wiring connectors that go from the cabin to the engine bay that may have been bumped during your fix? It's really odd that on one hand, it runs, on the other, all that stuff is affected. But I hope someone here knows a lot more than me and is willing to help ;) Hope you figure it out sooner than later. Best regards,

40

It's understandable to get caught up in the list, as it's massive. As for wiring, fuses, relays, etc we are rechecking everything while we have it up on the lift to mount the new tires. And yeah, we found it odd too. The Celica sounds like a freaking dream, so you'd never realize how much is just not working. Haha! Thanks for your help!

10

I also just recently had this happen me and it sounds the exact same. Nothing works but the car cranks. What seemed to be the issue with your celica? I have also check all the fuses and changed any that have blew. I am just just stumped at this point.

40

Hey Brockaflocka, turns out there was a short in the cigarette lighter. The whole thing hand to be pulled put. :) After that it worked perfectly.

7,035

Wow

10

Thank you for help this will save me a ton of money and just thank you so much!!!