I have a 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S, I was wondering what modifications I would need for a project I heard I could swap my engine for a 350 small block. This intrigues me. I got the car for 1500 dollars with an aftermarket alarm/electric start. It is a project car currently, since the driver side of the car was hit in a parking lot. I figure while I am fixing it up, why not explore options. Thanks for reading.

5

Asked by May 02, 2014 at 09:57 PM about the 2000 Toyota Celica GTS Hatchback

I heard I could swap my engine for a 350 small block. This intrigues me. I got the car for 1500 dollars with an aftermarket alarm/electric start. It is a project car currently, since the driver side of the car was hit in a parking lot. I figure while I am fixing it up, why not explore options. Thanks for reading.

105

If you're in a state or country that does emission inspections, you're better off not messing with it. They plug into your obd II to inspect your car. This reads the computers readiness monitors - when you change out the engine you're probably going to do away with all the engine management system since it's unlikely you're going to spend the time and money adapting your old computer to the v8 in a way that it will still pass obdII emissions and still set readiness status. This will make your car basically for off road use only. Most states you can't register without the inspection. If I were you, save yourself the time and aggravation of converting the car to a v8. It will be easier to just buy a car with the v8 motor you want, already in it...

10,045

The only way I could see putting a SBC in your car is tunneling your interior for a tranny and converting to RWD. The motor is to wide when mounted sideways. Besides adding the right parts to the available Toyota motors will net you a better power to weight ratio, especially when you boost it. The SBC is too heavy for that application. GM does make a few FWD v-8 that are a lot narrower than the SBC that they might have been referring too? Caddilac's Northstar's, Oldsmobile's Aurora and the LS4 found in the newer sport versions of the w-body. But these are still very wide and heavy units.

10

this can be done very easily if your willing to take the time to do it right... The Pontiac Fiero has a sbc kit that sells for last I looked ...not much... since the Fiero utilizes a tray type mounting system it would be very feasible to find a newer wrecked chevy with complete computer system and change EVERY thing out while mounting the SBC to the tray...then to the rear of your Celica converting it to a rear motor design... again its gonna need to be thought through and your gonna have to be good at fabricating and welding...this has been a long time thought of mine just because so many today have forgotten how to build a car...they are too used to bolt ons and most have probably never seen a welding machine

10

http://www.v8archie.com/v8fiero.htm

10

https://www.google.com/search? q=pontiac+fiero+engine+cradle&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS583US583&tbm=isc h&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Mjl8U8D5LYuGyASzuYHoDQ&ved=0CF wQsAQ&biw=1093&bih=564