cluch problems?

25

Asked by Feb 06, 2009 at 08:12 PM about the 2000 Toyota Celica GTS Hatchback

ok this is my problem when i am at a stoplight it is very hard to put it into gear. it is to the point that i must turn off my car, put it into gear then start it back up again to take off. after talking to a few mechs i have been told it is simply a bad clutch. however after taking off from first gear every other gear is smooth to slip into. so it is only when i am at a complete stop that it will not go into gear. what else do does everyone else think?
p.s i have also been told it is my tranny

10

That is the same problem I have. However, when I take off, the only gear it takes is 4th... Every other gear grinds. Could it be the master cylinder?? I blead the clutch but the problem is not fixed!!! crucesrev, did you find out the problem???

45

sounds like a bad synchro ring. these are on each of the shafts to allow them to mesh smoothly as opposed to grinding or having to "double clutch" they are a problem in celica gearboxes that have some age .. not hugely expensive to replace but they will eventually go again usually between 2nd and 3rd