Acceleration lag.

Asked by Aug 22, 2008 at 12:21 PM about the 2000 Toyota Celica GTS Hatchback

I've noticed that when I first start my car, like maybe when I haven't had it on in a day, and I'm pulling out of my
driveway that my gas pedal will push down, but the car doesn't really accelerate. I'm worried that this could lead to
some more serious problems later on.. The lag only lasts for a second or two, maybe three, but when you're
getting onto a busy road then it can sorta be a problem. The car moves when this lag happens, but only at 1-5
mph.
Anyone know whats going on? Or have any suggestions?

14,565

You may have a transmission issue, but only if the engine races and the car is not accelerating while in gear.

35

I have the same thing happening to my 98 Corolla, but only in the wintertime. It only does it when the engine is cool, then after you drive it for a bit it's okay. I'm not sure what causes it, but I had my mechanic check it out and he said it was ok. If you have it checked out, let us know what happens!

195

I'm assuming it is a manual transmission, you might want to have your transmission fluid checked. It might be low.

195

Correction, I meant to say automatic not manual.

15

start basic you be suprised .. are you do for an oil change ? how's your air filter? how many miles you got on it thats vital info

25

Mine does that too, and I don't know if it has to do with the bolt-ons I have or what (and it's ONLY on a cold start and not every time), but I found the easiest fix! Before I put it into drive or reverse, I put it in neutral first and give it a few revs of the gas pedal... no more lag! I think it gets the transmission fluids flowing, but I AM going to take it and get it checked out just in case. However, it doesn't seem that it would just be a cold-start issue if it WAS a problem with the tranny.