Convertible top and rear windows suddenly quit working

10

Asked by May 10, 2014 at 05:27 PM about the 1998 Toyota Celica GT Convertible

I have a 98 Toyota Celica GT everything was working find last summer now suddenly after my car had been in the shop for several months getting work done on the transmission, and now I find that the controls for the two rear windows and the top do not work.  All these rocker switches are in the center panel just below the climate control switches and next to the cigarette lighter.  The lighter works but the switches do not.  I am pretty sure it is not the individual switches (as there are a total of three switches) and I am sure it is not the motors (for the same reason). Would not seem likely that three switches or three motors would all go bad at the same time.

10

The switch in the trunk got bumped to manuel position.

10

Thank you. I can only put top up and down but unfortunately the rocker switches for the rear windows dont work and the motors are good. Do you know where I can purchase 2 used rocker switches for the rear windows of my 98 toyota celica convertible? Thnx! Lynn

45

Hi Blackdawg, The rocker switches are prone to malfunction but are easily fixed. Buy a tin of aerosol electrical contact cleaner and some emery cloth or a fine brass brush or even wire wool. Take them out and carefully take them apart and first clean all the components using the Brush, emery cloth or wire wool and then give them a good spray with the contact cleaner and re-assemble. I did this a year ago and they are all working perfectly now.

10

hi, I have a 1997 celica gt convertible. when I purchased the car the seller told me that the top would not open automatically but could still be opened manually. I made sure the switch in the trunk was put to manual but the top only wants to go half way up and gets stuck. also I forced a little too hard and broke the window underneath the felt. is there anything else you need to do to open the top manually??