New battery keeps dying

50

Asked by Dec 22, 2014 at 03:59 PM about the 1997 Toyota Celica GT Hatchback

Toyota diagnosed car and said it was worth putting almost $2000. into (48000 miles) Engine flush, new battery, oil/filter change etc. They put 1 gallon too little back in after engine flush. Engine light came on. I had only put 500 miles on car. They filled the radiator? with more fluid. Car will not hold a charge. Stopped using alarm as I thought that might drain battery. Everything else is turned off. They also broke my antenna on a radio that I never use. The manager just pushed the antenna back into the car. Please help as I am fed up with Toyota.

64,385

If that new battery is good,then you need to have the alternator checked.

5,215

After you check the alternator you might want to check for parasitic battery drain.

50

Alternator was checked. Battery was $250 from Toyota. Supposedly they checked everything. Parasitic drain might be the problem but I went back to Toyota after the battery died. Shouldn't they have checked that?

24,335

You know what they say, the squeaky wheel get the grease - I'd let them know exactly how about their brand of service and make them fix everything I wasn't happy with.

65,955

Normally I recommend going to the dealer for service and repairs. BUT there are times when that's not a good choice. Unfortunately your Toyota is 18 years old. Possibly the same age as the Tech who's working on it!! Find a reputable shop that specializes in imports. They'll most likely have older Techs who are more familiar with your car than the 18 to 25 year olds who don't know anything about your car. As for the dying battery, something either has to be killing it or you got a defect. Have the battery load tested. If it passes then move on to testing the alternator, and parasitic drains or a short. HTH. -Jim

50

Thanks for all your answers. I was going to buy a new Toyota RC 350 and keep this car for hauling the dog and stuff. Now I think I'll look at something else. Will also be writing a complaint letter to Toyota. When I first bought this car the tires kept going flat. Then one fell off. They kept telling me I didn't know how to put air in the tires... 18 mos later two of the tires exploded, threw the car in the air and chipped the rims. Then they believed what I said. There was some kind of mismatch with the tires and rims. When I talk they don't listen to the little woman.

65,955

You're welcome. Glad to help. A little trick my Sister uses when dealing with Service Writers is: "My Husband said........." Her Husband is a chef and knows nothing about a car except how to drive one. HTH. -Jim

18,235

Jesus, $250 battery? Also $2000!??!?!!????!? They saw a suckered and ripped you a new one. For that much you could have bought another one

135

Wow !!!! I Have been a Auto / Aircraft mechanic for ...... well lets just say a long time. I have worked for dealers as well I have seen auto mechanic's do what you have mentioned. I would like to say from all of us Honest mechanic's I am sorry. If you drive a car you will always make payments for this freedom. You either pay the bank for your car note or you will pay to maintain the vehicle. When you purchase a vehicle I am sure you do your research on what the best vehicle for the price is rite ? If you do not have the skill set to maintain a vehicle on your own you must make a choice. 1 pay the banker for a new car note or find a good quality mechanic to maintain your car. Ask around where you work I am sure someone knows a couple of mechanics in your area that they have used and trust. A good measure of a trustworthy mechanic is the following: Independent Shops need your business to live they will not last if they have a bad word of mouth. A good mechanic will inspect your vehicle and give you options on repairs like : the safety items need to be handled first , 2nd making the vehicle reliable, 3rd making it comfortable AC , Radio, Etc. A good Mechanic will explain and explain what is wrong almost to the point that just want him / her to fix it and stop talking. I truly enjoy telling and or showing customers " THE WHY " it does not work, look for a mechanic that enjoys the Job. Getting back to your car a few simple test would be able to find your problem but you need to start at the beginning. You will need a volt / ohmmeter .The battery should have approximately 12 volts with the ignition off and the engine not running of course. When you start the vehicle you need 13.8 to 14.5 volts to charge the battery. The volt meter should read somewhere in this range. This test will verify the alternator is working. You can also turn on the head lights / rear defroster, and other accessories to confirm the alternator still charges under an electrical load. If all this checks out OK you will need to check to see if the battery has an electrical draw. To do this disconnect the negative battery terminal, and connect a test light between the negative battery terminal and the battery cable terminal you just removed. Note if the light turns on or not. If the light is on and it is bright you have a circuit that is receiving power when it is not in use. Also please be advised all newer vehicles will have a slight draw on the battery for the computer,radio,clock to maintain it memory. Find the fuse box and watch the test light select a fuse and pull one out at a time does the light get less bright? if so you have found the circuit with the excessive draw if not re-install the fuse and move on to the next fuse and repeat as many times needed until you have found the circuit causing the problem. Remember you may have more than one fuse box. Once the circuit has been located you need to either continue to further isolate the problem down to a bad component or a wire etc. If you can not continue to trouble shoot it down to the component just the remember which circuit was causing the problem and let the mechanic know at the local shop so he can continue the trouble shooting process. also make a noted of any and all electrical items that do not work in the vehicle and notify the mechanic of this as well they may be tied together. Good Luck Hope this was helpful

Best Answer
50

ANDREW I came on here for help because I wanted to keep my Celica GT as a secondary car. People my age don't just discard things. It was worth the money to me as this is a nice car that I really like. Never been ripped off before. I learned to drive, age 15, on a 1949 Ford and have since owned an MBG, 300ZX, 1966 Mustang fastback, this Celica and others. Dad taught me to change a flat, oil and filters and put air in the tires before he would let me drive. Over the years I have taught myself to remodel my house, repair applicances, use, rebuild and repair computers, and do my own electrical and plumbing. Not exactly a stupid person. I DID NOT expect to be called a "sucker" from some brat who needs some social manners. This single, college educated RN raised HER son better. Hope you have a Happy New Year.

135

I have not heard if your car is any better yet if you need more help let me know.

50

Hello MC1Auto..They did a parasitic battery drain test, checked the alternator and trickle charged the battery. Nothing was done about the antenna. Toyota said they could find nothing wrong. Have had the car back 2 days and it is starting okay. I bought a PowerAll battery charger when it wouldn't start. It works great and I'm going to keep it in the car just in case. Wish me luck and thanks for your kind concern.

135

Good Luck- hope it continues to do well

50

MC1Auto Just thought I'd let you know my car is still starting with no problems. Even in -11 degrees and 40 mph winds it will start after 3-4 days of sitting. Toyata fixed something even if they said there was nothing wrong. I LOVE MY CAR:)