brake question

Asked by Sep 14, 2013 at 06:42 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS

I have a 2005 cobalt I just recently had new brake pad and new rotors put on because of problem while braking , after the garage install this. I now  have a dragging sound when
I put on my brakes when coming to a complete stop about 5 mile per hour. it sound
like the pads are dragging again the rotors but I know this is what stops the car but this
dragging noise is bugging me.I plan on taking back to the car but I want to know what everyone think it is

calipers, or bearings would be my guess if there not rubbing, but if a pro put them on he should of checked to see if tire rotated freely

Could be the new pads are slightly thicker than original equipment. I had that happen to me once. HTH. -Jim

Take it back. There should not be a dragging sound. Could be a whole bunch of things. The rear calipers on these cars are a bit prone to seizing but they should have checked when they were changing the pads.

yes he did mention the front calipers might be seizing but when he looked at them he said they were fine,He found that the rotors were bad he said the since they were going to change both front rotor.he ask me if I wanted him to change the front pads. The front pads that were on there were about 1/2 way gone so to save another front brake job in future I told him to go ahead and change the front brake pads too

Is the sound coming from front or back? It's actually the rear calipers that tend to be the problem. They are different from the front ones because they also incorporate the park brake. Sounds like you've been making the right choices so far. Regardless it sounds like a return visit to the shop might be in order to be sure all is well.

Its sound like it is coming from the front, The reason Why I took it in is because I was getting allot of shimmering in the steering plus it feel like the front end was shaking too It doesn't shimmer anymore matter of fact it is perfect when I put on the brakes except for the dragging sound

shimmering doesnt just stop in my experience, take it back before it costs you more