1995 Celica GT won't start

Asked by Nov 27, 2014 at 03:43 PM about the 1995 Toyota Celica GT Hatchback

The car started up in the parking lot, right after shifting gears 1-2 it cut out and now won't
start again.  I have all power options headlights, radio, dash lights, ect. Took the starter to
autozone for testing it passed three times. Replaced ignition switch and relay. Still won't
start. It's a 5sp 195k miles. It appears starter is getting voltage as dash clock dims when
turning the key but it doesn't even try to crank. Is it possible I incorrectly reattached the
starter ground wire when reinstalling? Where and how does the ground to the starter
connect? I couldn't exactly remember when I was reinstalling, it was cold and getting
dark when I tore it out so in a rush I forgot to take pictures. What other tests can I do to
determine why my vehicle isn't starting? Thanks for any help.

33,415

I went through the exact same thing with my kids VW. Replaced the old starter and nothing. If I put a car charger on it and set it to 50 amp engine start, it would start most every time. But with out the engine boost, nothing would happen. Come to find out, it was the battery the whole time. I even had the battery tested on a load tester and it passed! I can't tell you how many hours I wasted trying to figure it out. If your battery is over 5 years old, I would try replacing it.