Why Did a Symbol Car with a Lock Appear on My Dashboard And it wont Start?!

380

Asked by Aug 28, 2015 at 09:54 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan FWD

And What Would be The Solution?

109,545

Anti thieft system somehow has activated. Check your owners manual on how to deactivate, every car has it's own way to shut it off.

380

But The Thing is that the Owner Manual I have is for Cobalt Sedan and My is basic and i don't know if it's the same steps ?

109,545

It's worth a try, you only other option is the dealer for a system reflash, but then you should get all of the software updates.

380

Thank You For The Suggestions

75,525

Contact your local Chevrolet Dealer. Your Cobalt may be under current recall for the ignition switch. If it is, you may be able to get it fixed for free. HTH. -Jim

380

I Will Contact The Chevy Dealer because I don't Seem to get Content Theft Detrrent Disarm

380

And Is Chevrolet Still Doing Recalls for Cobalts?

75,525

Yes, recalls that are mandated by the National Highway Traffic Commission never expire. Never ever. The Chevy Dealer will check your vehicle identification number (VIN) and see which recalls you're involved with. To get an idea visit car complaints.com. Once you enter your vehicle information (2005 Chevy Cobalt) click on recalls and you'll get a list, including the recall numbers that you may be involved with. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer Mark helpful
380

Thank You Very Much I Just Called The Chevy Dealer and Made an Appointment because it Had 2 Recalls.

75,525

You're welcome. Glad to help. Thank you for the best answer click. -Jim

380

And Jim You think With Ignition Switch and Ignition Cylinder Change is Going to Solve the Anti Theft Lock?? I have my car at the Chevy Dealer.

75,525

I do. The new transponder key for the new ignition lock will have to be programmed to the car. This should solve any security system problems. HTH. -Jim

380

Oh okay I understand now Thank You Very much for your help Once Agian,Jim.

75,525

You're welcome. Any time. Glad to help. -Jim

380

Sorry to Bother Jim But before I took my car into the Dealer I Had 2 Separate Keys for my Car One Would Open the Car (locksmith made) and the other One with the Chevy Label to Turn On Car and Chevy Told me My car turns On good but that they Can't open the Trunk They Told me to Pick up My Car Tommorow.. Any Suggestions?

75,525

The one for the door should still open the trunk as it did before. Originally all the locks were coded (cut) the same so that the one key would open everything. I don't understand why the trunk cannot now be opened. Unless THEY can't open it but you'll still be able to. I once had a '94 Ford Escort station wagon. The keys that I got with the car were duplicates plus the ignition lock had been replaced. It was a retired delivery car. More than once I had to go out to the parking lot and start the car for the service department. There was a "trick" to it. But if yours was working fine before you dropped it off, I'd insist that it be returned to you in the same condition. Even if it means that additional programming needs to be done. As far as I'd be concerned, that's part of the repair and on them. HTH. -Jim

380

Well I'll Check it Out When I pick it Up and see What's the Deal, Thanks Jim.

75,525

You're welcome. Ok good. I'll be curious as to what they tell you. - Jim

380

Hello Jim I went to the dealer and they told me the car didn't turn on with the ignition switch and cylinder they had gotten confused with another cobalt thinking my car turned on.. Well this time I went the Symbol on the Dashboard(Anti Theft lock) was now blinking which it wasn't before.What can I do?!

75,525

Sounds like they messed up! The keys just need to be programmed to the car. It should take them, maybe, 10 minutes with their scan tool. I'd take it back. If they give you a hard time call Chevrolet Customer Service at 1-(800)-222- 1020. I'm very sorry that this happened!! I'm assuming that the car runs and you can use it now, correct? Either way it needs to be fixed. By them! They messed it up, now they need to fix it up! For the dealer it's not time consuming. They should be able to do it for you right in the parking lot. HTH. -Jim

380

Yes i was Really Upset because they suppose to do everything.. And no the car won't turn on Only The Radio and dashboard lights and Headlights when I try turn it on and like I told you only the anti theft lock symbol stays there blinking.. My uncle said that he would call someone he knew that could reset car computers you think that you would be a good thing to do?

75,525

If he knows how to do it and isn't going to change you, I'd let him do it. HTH. -Jim

380

I'm going to let him do a diagnosis on the computer and see what the real problem is.

380

Jim the actual problem was the fuse box and relays That were burnt i had the auto electric come and They fixed the problem i had the fuse box and relays replaced and it works perfectly now!! Thanks For all the Help Very Helpful Jim.

75,525

Thank you very much for the follow up. You're welcome. Glad to hear that it's fixed! I am sorry for the ordeal at the Chevy Dealer though! - Jim

380

No Worries!

30

I I had the same problem with my 2007 Chevy Cobalt but my keys are stuck in the ignition did anyone else have that problem

40

I have a 2007 Chevy colalt. The car won't start. It happened before, after few hours I put the key in the ignition and it started. It happened again not sure what to do. I did see the padlock icon on the dashboard. Can someone pls help

109,545

Padlock is showing the security system is in full activation mode so it won't run, do the disarm procedure listed in the owners manual, if that don't work then you may have some door switches that are not operating properly and that will have to be taken to a good shop that knows how to work on these systems.

30

I HAVE OFFICIALLY HAD MY IGNITION SYSTEM CHNGED 2X'S & FUEL INJECTION KIT REPLACED 3 X'S UNDER WARRANTY & THIS MORNING MY CAR SHUT OFF AT A RED LIGHT AND WHEN I FINALLY WAS ABLE TO START IT AGAIN, I RECEIVED THE CAR LOCK SYMBOL!!!!! SOOOOOOOO FRUSTRATED!!!! BEGINNING TO THINK THEY AREN'T ACTUALLY FIXING ANYTHING!!