2005 chevy cobalt 5 speed 2.2 can't get above 2000 rpms or will chug and lurch?

Asked by Feb 08, 2013 at 12:08 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan FWD

Have replaced plugs, caps, air filter, mass air flow sensor. throttle body is clean....still chugs and doesn't want to run over 2000 rpms??  Idles very rough, $98 later, all dealer could say was "maybe its the throttle body"  -maybe doesn't make me want to spend $265 for the new throttle body!!

that's not a fair price, looking it up I find them as cheap as $110. What's in there anyways? a fuel injector. Perhaps there is inadequate fuel pressure? Did your guys look at that? Seems like an unturned stone. also I believe there is a fuel pressure regulator of sorts, perhaps this one is set incorrectly.

have you taken it to a midas to see if the cat is plugged?

A throttle body is way down the list of things that I would think is wrong. The cat might be plugged but that would show symptoms along the way - not all of a sudden. Bob has a valid point with fuel injectors, fuel pressure and flow. Check the fuel pressure at the rail - it should be around 45-60 pounds. The car probably have 100,000 on the original fuel filter - change it if pressure is low.

tenspeed, waldosmiss never said that these symptoms came on all the suddon...all I'm trying to do is give an alternative as I've had a vehicle that had a plugged up cat and it couldn't rev above 2500 rpm

hesitate to put the letters EGR out there. seems like a dirty expression...and in fact IS! dangit, if this has got one it's sure to be very well used and maybe still funcitons~

Your last smog check would have done the "white glove" test on it, and informed you if huffin' your own fumes occurs at the right times correctly!

Mine is doing the same thing. Once the needle nears 2000rpm the engine sounds like its running out of gas and it slows down. The more i press the accelerator the more it slows down.

Any trouble codes?

waldosmiss seems to have abandoned us all.

im gonna hook it up to a computer soon and see what comes up, i'll be back with some info

oh, and for my car this happened all of the sudden

First thing I suspect is the fuel filter. If that does not fix the problem, then I would still suspect fuel flow or pressure. To diagnose that, I would start by checking fuel flow at the input side of the filter. If there is sufficient flow there, move down stream, and check flow at each connection.

this has got what 80.000 miles on it. This is the ripe time for one of these smog buggers---yes. egr me please-

really, daveV95 you might leave my ass hangin' in the breeze, cause I just guessed at your mileage and you didn't correct me and tell me what you actually have on this buggy.

bob_nueske 80.000? try 105.000

this link will show you what you've got. Probably should just take it apart and see what's up doc, and order the correct pieces to fix it.

i will give it a try, thank you bob_nueske

Sorry guys, it was the timing chain...broke, car went to heaven...we thought about relacing it and new heads, but the darn thing has been towed to the dealer 3 times in 6 weeks with a fickle computer, so all trust in the car is gone!!

They talk about how loud the cobalts get after 100,000....but does anyone think to check the timing chain?? NOT US!!...Thanks for all your help..next vehicle is a 2001 chevy S10 4.3!!

when the motor begins to sound like a coffee can full of ball bearings...it's time to take stock.

hey bob_nueske, would you happen to know where the egr is located?

yeah, I'm gonna find out too- gimme a sec-

is it really this easy, I remember grawbin' around underneath with the floor jack and working with the exhaust. Not sure if this is your actual arrangement, but somethin' in a jif-

hey, i hooked up the computer to my car today and what came up was the pedal speed sensor. would you happen to know if the pedal speed sensor is compatible with the ones on more recent models? @bob_nueske

I'm going to have to research, but you could do it for me just search for pedal speed sensor on rockauto, and napa and will show pictures---the same....possibly- run a google search on 'pedal speed sensor' and will identify suppliers. got to run right now...but call me lazy, call me fresh...

you may be able to repair you timing broken chain. disassemble and look for colateral damage...if there is none order a new chain, sprockets and tensioner...and enjoy a weekend of building it up~

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/10762687597574978282? q=2005+Chevrolet+Cobalt+accelerator+position+sensor&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.& bvm=bv.58187178,d.aWc,pv.xjs.s.en_US.EeLgqkzqnSg.O&biw=1152&bih= 627&tch=1&ech=1&psi=twa6Ut6sDKeiyAH4zYH4Dg.1387955561701.5&ei =1Qa6Uoy8B6qQyQG2jYCoDQ&ved=0CJIBEKYrMAM

fixed it, it was the gas pedal, and then the fuel pump broke. It was a big ordeal, but its fixed now.