Sometimes when driving my engine shuts down and the check engine light comes on. I take my key out and I have to let the car sit for a couple of minutes before I can start the engine up again. Then I will drive a ways and it will shut down again. It always eventually gets me to my destination. As a guess I would say it has something to do with the fuel injector or the timing but I really have no idea. Is this a common problem for 94' celicas? Does anyone know what this could be??? Please help!!!

25

Asked by Aug 17, 2007 at 01:48 AM about the 1994 Toyota Celica GT Hatchback

42,925

It sounds as though something is overheating and shutting off. Check the fuel pump and fuel pump relay, perhaps the relay is tripping and requiring a cool-down time before restarting. You might also check the ignition coil and have it performance-tested to see if it is overheating and shutting off. The timing is not a likely suspect if the vehicle runs well when it does run. Have the codes pulled from the Check Engine light to see if they offer any insight into the nature of the problem. Their help could be invaluable. As far as I know this is not a common problem with '94 Celicas.