Chevy Cobalt SS Supercharged used

25

Asked by Feb 03, 2009 at 09:03 AM about the 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged

Hi, i was trying to get a cobalt ss supercharged for under $10,000 and it looks like the only way is on ebay, any particular problems to be wary of???

3,265

why would you bother they have one of the most boring body lines ever. interior pieces will break and the motor isnt really reliable. why dont you go for a WRX? or even an integra type r or gs-r?

8,675

^^ We get it, it's American made, therefore you hate it. In my experience every brand has their own short comings, especially in today's market. Fred will tell you that American cars break and need more work, in my experience with GM product the exact opposite has been true. Every Honda I've known, be it friend or families, has broken repeatedly. Read consumer reviews and you'll see as many bad as with any other car... That being said it's a supercharged econ-box. Chances are it's been beaten to hell and hasn't been maintained properly. Think about it, it's been run hard after every red light it's ever seen. A car like that you want to do a proper pre-purchase inspection on. The private party value is ~10k so you should be able to find one, if your patient, in your area. Additionally, the Cobalt SS didn't really meet it's full potential till 2008 model year, I'd wait till I could afford the 08 model if I were you. Don't believe me? Go test drive one.

1,135

RICER... stop hatin go back to the patty...

1,135

I agree with Adam... Its likely poorly maintained and beat on... but they are pretty solid cars... the turbo series seems to be quite a bit better across the range but its also a lot more $$$ i would look at a saturn ion redline or something like that in the same segment... All cars have there issues but a badly maintained cobalt SS could be in for a lot of issues... I would immediatley be worried about the head gasket and the intake manifold... that being said the supercharger could need servicing (which could be big dollars or cheap... either way id have it looked at...) other than that theres not really a lot to go wrong... You will definetally want to have the car inspected as with all used cars...

3,265

well there you go you just agreed with me that the cobalt ss isnt very good and it took them how many years for them to get a ok one. and i said that if you take one of those and take a wrx or something else and dont maintan it very well the cobalt will fail.

35

Sorry to see that you have such a sad opinion of the Chev Colbalt. I find it to be a tough little car. It is great driving it on the highway. The pickup is amazing. As far as interior parts breaking.....all models have problems. With our cars being made of plastic parts there is that greater chance of breakage. I love my Colbalt and truly enjoy driving it. On top of that the gas mileage is very economical.

35

Well put alex, some people have a very narrow mind, and view toward certain cars. The SS is a stong car, and so is the WRX. and like you said, go ahead and run your wrx on silica sand... just because you can.. lol, but point being, the WRX can get just as much roughed-up as the SS. ALL vehicles can run into problems, and a poorly maintained one, such as the SS in question, can pose more problems than its value. So keep lookin for an SS, because it is an awesome car (i own an 07 SS/SC) Its fun to drive, very quick (ill challenge that WRX anyday) and comfortable. Im sure you can find one witha reasonable price tag, if not now, very soon.. the unemployment rate is on the rise, and there will be many, many cars that people cant afford...

25

Hey, I have an 07 ss sc, GET ONE! They are so solid, the engines are bullet proof! The crank alone is built to handle 500 horsepower right from the factory! I recommend one with the recaro package, it has the limited slip differential, if u can't find one don't worry, but the stage 2 is incredible, did you know you can beat a 2000 Ford Mustang GT with a 5 speed, if you put a stage 2 kit on?? Its incredible! I pulled a zero to 60 in 5.4 seconds man! The new mustang GT gets to 60 in 5.1 seconds, so u are only 3 tenths of a second away from running with a new mustang GT, just to give you an idea of the power it has! So what the interior is plastic? If you want a car that goes like hell, get a ss supercharged and go stage 2, and i will show you how to get the stage 2 for cheaper than what GM wants and keep your warranty. Plus you can get a methanol injection kit for another 30 horse, then you are a mustang killer. And lets see anyone find a wrx or integra GSR for $10,000 or less? Its incredible power for money. Oh yea, and the Cobalt SS beat both those cars on the nuerburgring in Germany, in fact, it set the record for the fastest time for a front wheel drive car ever and yes it was stock! So don't listen to the haters, if you like the looks and you want the power, get one, with your first test drive, you will have a smile on your face. Plus you get a kick ass mp3 stereo with sub, 18 inch rims, it still gets 37 miles per gallon, its loaded with leather and power options including digital command center. What more could u want?

1,135

a v8 and ive heard the crank will handle 500hp before then again most cranks today will... but your gonna trash the tranny before that...

75

what is your gas mileage in that thing because i get a average of 55-65 us mpg

25

Yea u will probably toast the tranny at 500 horses, but who is going to do that? lol The entire drive train can handle 315 horsepower. That is a hell of a power to weight ratio.

25

I get 40 with the stage 2 kit. Whats your 0-60 time? Mine is 5.4

My 06 has been at the dealer ship for four weeks and counting because I lost 2 gear and reverse in the trans. my motor is stock. All I have done to it is a cat back exhaust and a sway bar kit. Was really wanting to add stage 2 but was wondering if I should look for a performance trans. first. Any thoughts?

25

You got a bad tranny, go stage 2, i have 60,000 miles on my car, stage 2 and no problems, and i drive it hard.