92 toyota celica manual transmission problems, i lost 2nd, 4th, and reverse gears. Initialy, i thought it was the linkage, but after tearing into it, its not the problem. Im a do-it-yourselfer so any ideas or knowledge would be greatfully appreciated.

10

Asked by May 02, 2013 at 09:04 AM about the 1992 Toyota Celica GT-S Hatchback

In 1st, 3rd, and 5th gears, the shifter seems to be farther forward than
normal, and i can find the bottom gears (2nd, and 4th, but not reverse)
but it happens rarely... there were issues with the linkage under the
shifter, i fixed that, making the top gears easier to hit, but no differense
on the bottom gears

109,915

If that is a two cable linkage one is the selector and the other is the shifter. If the selector cable goes bad it will cause you to only have 1, 3 and 5. Or 2, 4 and reverse. Watch your linkage as it moves. Both linkages/cables should move when shifting into any given gear. The selector linkage/cable toggles shifter linkage into position for the correct gear. (In most applications you will actually see the shifter linkage toggle either up or down according to the position of the selector linkage) If shifter linkage is only moving front and back and is not toggling up or down at the same time it is probably a selector cable issue. Hope this helps

109,915

Something else to check is your slave cylinder fully extending when the clutch is depressed.

10

Thank you so much, i will hopefully get it on jack stands this weekend and give a good look all around... thanks again