I have a 92 Celica Gt with 265K miles. I have put 5K worth of work in the engine, cv axle ect. Dont wnt to keep throwing $ at it. Body is in good shape. How much is a new engine? Is that a smart option? Love how the car looks and drives. Do I sell or put more $ in?

10

Asked by Aug 04, 2013 at 02:23 PM about the 1992 Toyota Celica GT Hatchback

114,255

It's all about how much you love the car. Cause with older cars they can turn into bottomless money pits. I have a 91 3000gt sl and a 1985 z28. I love both of them and have already explained to my wife that I will be putting money into them for the rest of my life. (They are my toys) But of course they are not my daily driver so it don't hurt for them to get taken apart once in a while. If you using car for a daily driver might be money ahead to get a new more dependable car but if its not your daily driver have fun with it and enjoy building a good looking adult toy.

114,255

Why are you considering a new engine?

10

Just thought that it might stop the constant "fix its". It also has lost the a/c, so I think its time to part.:-( With so much already in it I'm not sure what to sell it for. Researching it has given a large spectrum.

26,595

In my honest opinion, I think you answered your own question when you said "I don't want to keep throwing $$ at it" and when you asked "How much is a new engine?". Since you seem to like the Celica, why not just upgrade to a newer one with less miles (body style on the 2000 and above Celica's are really nice!)....the one you've got served you well...Time to move on, IMO.

10

what would you ask for it given all I have done to it, and the fact that it has no a/c?

26,595

I don't know ALL of the details about your Celica, but using the info. you provided and www.edmunds.com to get an appraisal of the car I did get some prices for you (The year of the car, high miles and lack of AC definitely work against you here): Trade-In Value: $91.00, Private Party Sale: $501.00. Here's the ironic part...A Dealer would probably try to get $1,200 for it. Hope this helps!!! :)

10

Does The fact that I have put $3800 recently into major engine repairs not count for anything? This could be depressing! On this site it says average resale is around $3800. Huge difference...

26,595

@whitecruiser...I agree that is worth more than what Edmunds.com says, especially if you've invested close to $4k into engine repairs recently. As long as you can document all of this work, you just might get close to what you've invested, if you can find a die-hard Celica enthusiast (For a buyer like that, I'd suggest finding a Celica on-line buying/selling forum...not CarGurus, to try to sell it). I had a 1993 Toyota MR2 and it has held its value extremely well (Wish I NEVER sold it)...Now that the Celica is no longer being made (which is a damn shame...cuz right now there isn't a single Toyota model that's even remotely cool, except the Scion FR-S)...you just might get lucky! :::::God, I miss the MR2, Supra, and Celica!!!:::::

Best Answer Mark helpful
114,255

I agree with racer_x. With cars like mine and yours its not about what it's worth as a car but more about what someone is willing to pay to own one of them. I don't follow the celicas so I can't speak for its value or what someone might pay for it but with my 3000gt. I turned down $8000 for it. And that is way more than its worth just as a car 214k miles. But to me its worth even more. It was not for sale then and not for sale now. As stated above its all about how much you love that car. You have a hard decision to make specially if you have a wife that does not understand why you spend more time under the hood of it than driving it. Thank god mine is understanding of my need for these projects.