I have 1992 toyota celica gt and my cruise control wont work. The light comes on that dash but the cruise wont click on. What do you think it is?

60

Asked by Jul 17, 2012 at 07:33 AM about the 1992 Toyota Celica GT Hatchback

107,485

Check brake light switch on pedal under dash. If standard shift also check clutch pedal switch. One of these is most likely your problem.

60

what does the brake light switch or the clutch pedal switch have to do with the cruise. I do have a manual shift.

107,485

Each switch has to be closed for cruise to work. So if you are using cruise and press either the brake or clutch the cruise will disengage . Without out these switches cruise will not work.

60

How would I know if the switches are not working or defaulted. What would I look for?

60

and i forgot to state that the cruise worked for a few miles but then light on the dash started blinking then the cruise disengaged. The light on the dash would only come back on only when I shut the car off and then back on.

107,485

First look at where pedals touch the switches. They should be pushing the button of the switches all the way in. Some pedals have a small rubber piece that actual touches the button. These tend to fall out on older cars. This is probably your issue. If they are not being pushed all the way in they are adjustable. If this not the problem then on the brake switch you should have four wires going to it. Two are for the brake lights and two are for the cruise. Check terminals on switch with meter to in sure that with the button pushed in the cruise side of switch circuit is closed and with button out circuit is open. Clutch switch probably only has two wires both for cruise. Check switch the same as above.

107,485

Sounds like a switch. The way I found mine was to use my foot to hold up pressure on my switch as I tried to engage the cruise. Turned out to be my clutch one out of adjustment. Does yours have two cruise lights. One that states it on and another that states you are actually using it?

60

No I have one cruise light on the dash. It just says cruise and that's the only light I see.

107,485

If light is staying off or blinking on and off i would check switches. If is coming on and off like it suppose to when you push button I would check vacuum lines going to actuator under the hood.

60

toyota doesn't make these parts anymore, would you know who does?

60

When I check the vacuum lines going to actuator, what would I be looking for? How can I tell if there's something wrong?

107,485

Look for cracks in the line. Also while idling listen for a wissing sound around them. If leaks or cracks found replace line.

60

Is the brake light switch and the break pedal switch the same thing?

107,485

Sorry been out of town. Yes they are the same.

Same car...same problem. Did you fix yours?