1992 Celica 2.2L won't start after driving it

Asked by Jul 25, 2014 at 08:06 AM about the 1992 Toyota Celica GT Convertible

Car starts fine in the morning. Drive it around, park it, turn off. Go to start it and no start.
When turning the key the starter seloniod ' clicks ' but starter won't turn. Let it cool or
jump it and it will start. I have replaced the battery, starter ( twice ), battery cables, battery
terminals. I don't know what else to do, even the mechanic is scratching his head...please

if your mechanic is scratching his head- find another mechanic- one without lice- there are other things to check- like a good ground- etc.

I agree with checking the grounds. Check frame and motor negative battery connections. Also check the solenoid wire for proper voltage. When key turned to the start position you should get a solid 12 volts to the solenoid wire. If you are not then I would check relays and possibly the ignition switch itself.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Ok I finally got to working on the car. I checked the voltage going to the starter solenoid a solid 12V. Relays ok. I noticed that the ground from the battery to chassis was a little rusty, went to ratchet off the bolt an ' crack '. I was completely rusted. The head of the bolt snapped off. I moved the ground wire to another part of the chassis and in addition I replaced the ALT 100A fusible link. The car has been starting everytime now going on three days...THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help. You have no idea how frustrating this has been!

My 1992 toyota celica is doing the same thing and I have checked everything and still can't figure out what the problem is.....

Hi all,my 91 Cell GT had similar issues.After cleaning all cables,starter replacement etc,still wouldn't start sometimes after driving it.Turned

out to be the neutral safety switch.Hope this helps.

Starter motor. The solenoid that is attached to the front of the starter, heats up and fails. The starter is good. Easier and cheaper to replace the starter motor as a whole unit. The clicking is not enough power to drive the cog wheel that attaches to the flywheel to start the car.