what if your brake light on the dash stays on but its dim?

Asked by Jan 04, 2007 at 12:37 AM about the 1990 Toyota Celica GT-S Hatchback

My brake light on my dash stays on constantly. It brightens up if I pull the emergency brake up but when I release the brake it dims a little but dont go off. What can I do to make it go off or do I need to check for problems with the car?

19,015

Hello, I would certainly check for problems with your car. I recently experiences a similar problem with an intermittent brake light alert, and it turned out my ABS module was going. If there's one part about your car you don't want to have go out on you, it's the brakes. I'd recommend bringing to a mechanic to check the wiring and the brakes. Best of luck! CarGrrl

875

yes it is possible your abs is going out. if u don't know wether u have abs or not u can look on the axle and it will have a wire going down to it where if it did'nt have abs it would not have a wire

875

something is probably wrong wit your abs if you even have abs it is very easy to tell you can look on the axle if you see a wire connected to the axle then you have abs but a lot of celicas did not come with this option so it could just be a short in the warning light

10

Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem. Did you find out what it is? If you have a solution or can lead me to one please let me know. I'll check on here but you can also e-mail me at wdavidortiz@gmail.com thanks a lot!!!

more than likely like the person above it probably is just a short in the warning light, cause it just turns on every now & then? I mean it just started? but if it continues I will check the brake pads I just the rear shoes & it was a job getting the hub off but the shoes checked out good. thanks for the solutions. Jesse