Emergency Brake light Stays on

10

Asked by Oct 11, 2010 at 01:36 PM about the 1990 Toyota Celica GT Coupe

Hello all,
I have a 1990 Toyota Celica. My emergency brake light stays on most of the time on my dash, whether I have the emergency brake  on or not. Sometimes when I'm driving is turns off but most of the time it stays on. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

5

I had this problem with my lexus ls400 and toyota mr2, the computer senses something wrong with the breaks, just replace your pads and you should be fine

10

ah cool. so all you did was change the brake pads? Nice, I just didn't think that a 1990 car would be that "smart" I guess :/ Thanks for the insight I'll give it a shot. AutoZone here I come for some new brake pads . thanks Brendan

55

it also usually means low brake fluid

you must check first your main master. Sometimes the emergency brake light will turn on if you don't have enough brake fluid. If it's not empty check your brake pads. You might need to replace them.

10

ok that makes sense. That may also add to why my brake pedal kind of "whistles" or "whines" when I press it. What do you think?

95

yes, dont worry about it, i had a 98 tiburon and it did tha same thing, its jus a sensor, it wont effect or damage any thing,

35

I had this problem with my 84 celica after it was sitting for a year it eventually started working again. i would check the sensors, and the brake fluid.

Sometimes the whistles you heard on your pedal as you press it, it was a sign that you need to replace your hydro back.

I had the same thing and it was because there were bubbles in the brake fluid so they drained it and now its fine

5

Hi there in a reply to my last post. Your break fluid is usually low for a good reason. Your breaks are warn letting the break caliper piston out futher meaning there is significant wear on your breaks if you replace them that fluid should go back up