2005 Chevy CLASSIC(Malibu) Theft system

5

Asked by Dec 13, 2015 at 11:30 AM about the 2005 Chevrolet Classic 4 Dr STD Sedan

Can the theft system be bypassed or will having
the proper key solve the theft system issue? &
What type of key is originally used for this car? I
have a copy, which came from a Chevy
dealership, when I took the car in for a recall a
little over a year ago. Before that I just had a
copy given to me by the company I bought the
car from(the company being a fabrication shop
that had the car for commercial use). Lastly, I'd
like a key fob, any suggestions?

64,995

You have a transponder key. You must program any new keys to the car for them to work. First use a working key and start the car. Now shut it off and remove the key. Immediately insert the new key into the ignition and turn to the run position but don't try to start it. Watch the security light on the dash. It should go off in 3 to 5 seconds. When it does, turn off the ignition then immediately start the engine. Your new key is now programmed. As for the key fob I got 2 from eBay for my '00 Grand Prix. They came with easy programming instructions. Check with your local Chevy Dealer and see if you have the option code for the keyless entry feature. If not key fobs aren't going to work on your car. HTH. -Jim