I have a 2005 Chevy Classic that gets noisier the faster I drive. Replaced the front brakes and drivers side wheel bearings. Still real noisy. WHat next to check?

Asked by Jan 05, 2014 at 07:33 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Classic 4 Dr STD Sedan

I have a 2005 Chevy Classic. Sarted getting very noisy to drive. The faster I go, the noisier
it gets. I can feel it in my feet when driving. Replaced both front brakes and drivers side
wheeel bearings. WHat to check next?

20,875

Check the passenger side bearings. Sometimes noise will travel and can fool you.

Best Answer Mark helpful
115

I would check the CV joints. Make sure the boots are intact. Do you have any transmission oil leakage?

No oil leakage. How do I tell if the bearings are bad on the passenger side? Someone told me they thought it might be the driver side front axle. I can feel the vibration through the floor. Don't want to have to replace everything. Any thoughts?

115

Does the vibration or noise change when you turn?

20,875

Jack the right side up and see if there is any play in the wheel up/down. You can look at the axles at the same time. See if any of the boots are ripped slinging grease out.

Thanks people. It does not get noisier when I turn because I slow down to turn so the noise slows down. Obviously related to how fast the wheels are turning. Will jack the car up this weekend and check the wheels, boots and axles. Will check for grease also.

It WAS the other wheel bearing - right front. Thanks guys. Runs like a charm now!!