Strange Sound of Unknown Origin(?)

Asked by Jun 09, 2012 at 02:51 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Classic 4 Dr STD Sedan

Atlanta is a city known far and wide for many wonderful attractions and attributes
as well as for it's unending construction sites and pothole-laden streets!  Quite
recently, while traveling the 45mph posted speed limit, my beloved Malibu Classic
hit a pothole the size of The Grand Canyon!  Since then a very audible tick, tick,
ticking sound is emitted seemingly from the undercarriage on the front driver's side!  
As the wheel turns faster, the ticking sound gets faster - like the sound of a playing
card in the spoke of a tire on a child's bicycle! The garage I took it to said it was just
out of alignment and the hub cap was making the sound.  The car was repaired for
about 2 weeks.  Now the sound is back!  HELP!!!!

254,705

Maybe something logged in the tire, or the brake dust shield was bent rubbing on the rotor? I'm sure if you took it back to your garage, they will fix it for you.

485

Did you check the cv/axle? The cv/axle will tick when they start to go bad, could be the pothole just sped things up with the harsh blow it absorbed. DO NOT let a shop charge you to replace just the cv joint or boot! You can replace the entire axle with all the components cheaper & faster, plus it will be warrantied and all the parts will be new. Try to drive slow with your window down and turn sharply to the left & right, the cv/axle should make a crunching, popping noise if the bearings are starting to go bad inside. Thats an indicator to replace it asap.

Best Answer Mark helpful
485

BTW, how long have you owned the car & how many miles are on it?

Thanks for the speedy replies! OMG! mtmonarch, I just noticed another sound like the one you mentioned - when I do the cut the wheel to the left! Can you give me a heads up on how much a repair like this might run me? And should I just take "my baby" to the dealer for the repairs - just to be on the safe side or can you maybe recommend a REPUTABLE auto repair chain etc., that makes such repairs? Also, to answer your question, I've owned my 2005 Malibu Classic for 6 yrs. It had around 48 k miles on it when I purchased it and has just under 63 k miles on it now.

485

I'm wondering if you have any factory warranty left?? I know they come with a 3yr 36k mile bumper to bumper, but some have a 100k powertrain, but I think it is only good for 5 yrs. Anyway, a GM dealership is a good place to have work done as it is fully warranted work & they won't make up 10 excuses why the part failed if you have to go back for the same problem. The down side is you'll be paying dealership overhead, but in some of the big cities, they are competitively priced with the going mechanical rates so they get their share of the repair business. Typically, you can get an aftermarket replacement axle installed for about $200-$250, but it may be higher at a GM dealership. Call one for a quote & see, also ask some friends for a reference for a mechanic that they use & trust.

245

Take the hub cap off and check the fingers around the inside of the cap. Many times when a wheel hits hard the motion will cause the cap fingers to slightly compress allowing the cap to spring as the wheels turn. Open the fingers just a little using a good pair or channel locks. Reinstall and see if that stops your squeek.

Try removing your hub cab or cabs if you aren't sure exactly the area of the sound and then drive it again. We had the same issue and my husband replaced the cv joints only to find out the sound was still there. Someone told us about the hub cab removal and sure enough that's what it was!