i have an '05 solara, SLE convertible w/ a JBL radio. the sound "fades" in and out. I replace the radio but it still does it. what could be the problem?

10

Asked by Dec 26, 2011 at 11:41 AM about the 2005 Toyota Camry Solara SLE Convertible

the sound does not abruptly go off and on but rather fades in and out.

90

Have the same car - same issue. Dealer referred me to someone else because his only option was to replace the whole unit. The issue is the amplifier, which on the SLE Convertible was packed in resin in the trunk. Over time it overheats and the connections fade. The person I was referred to has replaced several for about $500, but getting the amplifier from Toyota is not easy - takes time as they are in limited supply.

10

Thanks for the feedback

110

The convertibles have a switch that goes bad and that's what is causing the problem. It's when the top is down it gives the amp more power to cover road noise. Courtesy Lamp Switch Toyota Part # 84231-06010 Cost, approximately 20 bucks, new has nothing to do with a lamp but that's what they call it

110

The switch replacement is the answer, I have replaced 3 of these for friends 04 & 06 & 08. You have to remove the lower back seat and the rear pass side panel, you will see the switch under the convertiable top motor, you just unplug and replace with new switch. takes about 1hr total Also there is a video on you tube that shows how to replace the switch. Toyota should offer a recall for this problem.

60

Just reached the point that I had to do something about all the stereo cut outs on my 2008 solar a SLE Convertible. Took it to the dealership and first thing out of their mouth is replace amp. I then showed them all the blogs pointing to the courtesy lamp switch under the back seat. They gave me the option of replacing the switch $280. or $240. To disconnect the switch. Note after I opted for disconnect they said right choice as they have replaced switch in the past and have the same problem repeat . So opt for disconnect...stereo sounds perfect now with no cut outs!

20

biggest problem I am still having is removing the rear seats! anyone know the trick?

20

i had the same problem , looked up on youtube got answer replace or disconnect sensor , had it done at my shop in miami FL for $100. best money i have spent .. body shop guys should know how to do it cheaply . explain what you want done .located near top motor rear passenger panel .not the seat