Battery kept having to be jumped, took battery out to replace and I had the wrong battery. Put the old one back in but then it wouldn't even take a jump. The alternator fuse was blown.

Asked by Jul 02, 2015 at 04:22 PM about the 2004 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6

After changing the fuse and put everything
back together it starts fine however it has
no power. I can put the pedal to the floor
and it won't even rev to 2000 rpms. What
did we miss putting it back together ?

19,810

Did you have the alternator tested to see if was charging properly ? Should be charging at 14 volts.

19,810

If your battery is really low and your alternator is not charging can cause low to no power.

I haven't had the alternator checked as of yet . I am doing that this evening when there is less traffic car only goes about 5 miles per hour. We had to remove the air intake ,filter to be able to change the fuse . Boy they could have made that simpler . I thought if we didn't put something together correctly or tight enough that it might cause a problem like this. Also check engine light is on now where before the changing of the fuse it was not.

Ok, code read throttle body actuator.. this is really bad, it's a 500.00 part not including labor I find it hard to believe this went out when it needed a battery.

19,810

When you say throttle body actuator do you mean throttle position sensor ?

19,810

Sounds like they are trying to sale you the whole throttle body if I were you I would try putting on a throttle position sensor first on your old throttle body very seldom does the throttle body go bad.

19,810

Found a throttle body position sensor for your vehicle at ( Parts Geek.com ) cost $ 60.63. I would try that first if I was you.

I am in the process of getting hammered I don't drink.lol I will try that and thank you very much for your help. I was having a complete meltdown I don't know how you go from a 130.00 battery to a 1400.00 part installed. I am grateful for you cargurus. If I could do anything for I surely would. Thanks again. Amy " brokechick, ".

19,810

Please keep me informed. Don't get to hammered the problem will still be there in the morning. LOL

20

recheck your work,there may be a plug you disconnected for this job that you missed. replacing a battery should not kill a car. (filling the gas tank often does)

19,810

I no this maybe not what you want to hear but if this problem did not happen until you replaced that fuse i would remove the intake filter again and see if it was something that was not put back correctly. Maybe you forgot to plug the mass air flow sensor back in something of that nature ? Maybe you will see something that is causing the problem. Also check that fuse again while you are in there again.

I haven't found anything online to show me how to just replace the throttle position sensor I can only find replacing of the whole throttle body. This is a more than a little unbelievable the cost to get the car back on the road. It's absolutely criminal that Toyota has not recalled this problem. I have read a lot of stories about all the problems this part has caused not to mention the money the car owners have had to put out to fix it. I am not in the position to get it fixed financially. It looks like the cheapest way to get it back on the road is around 1,600.00 . I am going to keep trying to look for something that maybe is causing this .

19,810

I found it at ( Parts Geek.com ) just type in the year, make and model of your vehicle. Once it takes you to the parts for your car there is a search box and just type in Throttle Position Sensor.

I did find the part but I can't seem to find anything on the actual changing of the part. I keep finding that it is molded to the throttle body and therefore the whole thing has to be replaced. I did see that people who have similar problems are cleaning the throttle body,senders ect. And have had some success with that. I am furious that this is even a issue for so many Toyota owners. I have always been a Toyota girl but this is definitely making me feel differently. Thanks again for all of your help and keep giving advice if you find anything else that I can try.

19,810

Try Googling ( How to replace throttle position sensor on your year, make and model )

I did that , nothing with just the sender nothing on YouTube either. Found a lot about cleaning throttle body though.

19,810

How to replace a throttle body position sensor on a 2004 Toyota Camry V6

19,810

There is no video on how to change but there is a site that tells you how to change. Type in what I said before and click on site ( Toyota Throttle Position Sensor Replacement ).

Ok, thank you. I will get on it at my lunch time.

Firebird, I am apparently a bit slow . I typed that in and still don't see where it says that I can just change the position sensor.

19,810

You do have google right ?

Yes I have Google. Who specifically is the instructions from ? Can you send me a link ?

19,810

Do not know how your internet works but I typed in ( how to replace a throttle body position sensor on a 2004 Toyota Camry v6 once I clicked on it took me to several web sites. On my computer there are 3 u tube videos on how to clean the throttle body the one you are looking for is the 3 site down from the videos and it says ( Toyota throttle position sensor replacement.

19,810

http://www.redlinemotive.com/repla cement/toyota/throttle. Here is the link.

I think I have found it.is it from redline motive .com ? I also just remembered that the exhaust sounds strange like it has a hole in it. I don't know if that is important but it reminds me of when cars from my younger years would get rust and get holes from salting the roads in the winter.

19,810

Cool I hope it helps you.

20

are u sure the TPS was plugged in correctly? If u never unplugged it u could have dammaged one of it's wires. it seems too much of a coincidense that this part would go bad just after you pulled & replaced the battery.

20

before u change a $500 part can it be tested??

That's exactly what we think. The other night when the alternator fuse blew the car went into lock down mode. The car is in limp mode currently and there has to be something we can do to reset it or replace whatever sensor is tripping things up. I just need to know what to look for. There has to be other people who have been able to figure it out and not have to sell a major organ to pay for it.

19,810

If its your alternator fuse that keeps blowing your alternator must be bad.

19,810

I bet you if you replace your alternator and the fuse your vehicle will run.

The fuse blew most likely when the battery was being changed. I was not there but it is possible that it got grounded and that blew the fuse. And may done other damage. I have read a lot of stories that begin with I disconnected the battery .......and now the whole car is jacked up.

FIREBIRD !! It's fixed !! Just answer.com. it cost $33.00. Not $2000.00 for throttle body system. It was the ETCS fuse. I hope people read this and don't just go with what the codes are reading . Be smarter than the car . Thank you for all your help.

19,810

So you are saying you got a new throttle body for $ 33.00 is that right ?

19,810

Sorry just re read your answer it was the ETCS fuse causing the problem.

19,810

So what was the fuse that you replaced the first time ?

Alternator, aka the main fuse.

19,810

Ok got you and Thanks for getting back letting me know what the problem was will pass this information on if someone else has this problem.