ignition switch symptoms

Jim Sizemore

Asked by Mar 03, 2016 at 02:11 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier LS

I notice that if the car doesn't start when I first turn on the key it just cranks, most times I turn off key and wait a few seconds and it will start. I've checked the ful pump and it's pumping, I'm just wondering if the ignition switch could be going bad ???

It really could be a number of things including the ignition switch, starter, or charging system issues. Are any lights on, on the dash? Any noticeable changes in perfomance when driving the car? More information will help me to more accurately diagnose possible issues. Best of luck

Jim Sizemore

no lights on none stay on on the dash, no changes in driving or power. will just die, I know the cluster is bad and I just unplugged it and am going to drive it a day or 2 to see if it dies anymore, am trying to eliminate one thing at a time as not to throw money away on other things.

Thanks for bearing with me Jim. Not to excuse my delay in answering but I work full time, am a full time graduate student, and answer about 50 questions a day here (as part of my car hobby). I apologize for missing your response. I can totally understand your not wanting to throw away money for an 11 year old car, but I am also a firm believer in maintaining what I have (and having reliable vehicles with no monthly payments save for insurance). So to answer your question, its the coil pack. I worked on a Caprice and an Impala SS a few months ago and both of them had this problem. I swapped the ignition coil out of salvage at the local yard, and boom. Problem solved When you say the cluster is shot, you mean the Speedo, Tach (if equipped on Rally Sports, Z24's, and most coupe Cavaliers), and gauges? This would be something I too would pull from a salvage yard, or even hit up Ebay. Because the ergonomics of the Cavalier (the dash and the instrument cluster did not change from 1995- 2005), you should be able to find one on the cheap. I hope this helps and please, do not hesitate to reach out should you have other questions! I am here to help. Best of luck sir!

Best Answer
Jim Sizemore

Thanks for the helpful hints, I will check local yards for the items I need and yes it is all gauges. I will keep you updated when I get it fixed and let you know what was fixed and replaced again thanks for the 411

I look forward to your reply! I was happy to help

Jim Sizemore

sixfootsix_car_guy well after trying diff things, I finally decided to change my ignition starter switch, and it seems to have fixed my prob. it's been 9 days now and the car has had NO problems starting. we researched GM recalls and although my car wasn't on their list many other GM products had ignition starter switch problems, so that's why I changed it, hopefully this will help someone else that may have similar problems